Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i would just like to say that i just bought my new ( to me) 2009 gmc sierra slt 2500hd cc/sb dmax and I love it. i cant wait to start to customize it any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What are your plans for the rig? Post up some pics when you have a chance. There are tons of upgrades you can do, in various forms of intricacy. The second question is do you have a warranty still? If not, then look into getting a tuner and exhaust and deleting your dpf system, do an egr block/delete and pcv reroute. That should get you started off very nicely. As for tuning I recommend EFI live, there is tons of information on the forum about it. My words of advice is to please not assume the v2 w/ dsp5 switch is your only option and let the price tag scare you away. There is a pre tuned ecm option with 2 tunes that will work circles around any canned tuner any day of the week at a very competitive price vs canned tuners. IF you decide to go a canned route (which i do not recommend since you will eventually end up selling it to go efi down the road anyways.. trust me, it happens lol) PPE is the best as far as canned tuners go.

Hope this helps :thumb

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Welcome fellow Canuck!

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Welcome to the DF!

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
805 Posts
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the DF !

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Welcome to df, and ya, efi is the best, and as an lmm owner, I highly recommend gettimg rid of the dpf and blocking egr. Willie set me up nicely and was very easy to work with. If you have questions let us know. And post some pics!!

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everyone and i will be sure to shine er up this weekend and shoot some pics for ya. nvrplzd my plans for the truck arent very clear for myself yet. ive done some more reading on the DPF delete and its clear that that is something i would like to do. I want to do what will increase my mpg's but am still new to the dmax's. my last truck was a 03 toyota tacoma ext cab that i lifted and modded myself but of course had a lot of help from the similar forum to this. also what is the difference between the EFI tuner and the PPE tuner your talking about? where can i find these for the best price?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Don't worry about that man, my priorities/plans for my rig have changed so many times now it makes me dizzy looking back on it :drink

The ppe unit is a canned tuner (an out of the box, plug and play universal setup)

Whereas efi live is a custom tuning platform, where your tuner will take all of your performance mods, tire size etc and create custom tunes for you. This keeps your trucks drivability a lot better, your egts lower and your fuel economy up. There are several different options to get efi live through, and reference my previous post for some of your options. I personally went through ATP (rob coddens aka idaho rob) and have been extremely pleased with their customer service. They are truly the best of the best as far as i'm concerned. Dustin (sickdiesel on here) works for him and can answer any of your questions if you are lost and we cannot answer for you.

Hope that helps a bit?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah that helps. ive been doing a lot of reading here the last few hours and am slowly starting to pick things up. i still have it under warranty though.... whats your opinion on that? should i just tune it and forget about the warranty or wait till its up? ( im about half way there with just over 74kms) also the dealer i bought this from has a leveling kit on it aswell as 305/55/20 wheel and tires on there that rub. any way that i can fix this other then changing out the wheel and tire combo? thanks again for all the help really appreciate it!

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
Another fellow canuck here! Welcome to the DF. Lets see some pics.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Where are they rubbing at exactly? Do a search for the "NorCal nick fender mod" it might just alleviate this issue for you. As for the warranty, that's something you are going to have to decide on your own, the DPF delete will definitely improve your mpgs, but you have to know if that is worth it to you or not.

Definitely NOT sent from my iPhone while jumping on a trampoline wearing a banana hammock..

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
alright well ive thought about it and ef the warranty aha now i was reading on another thread where you said that there are other options to the efi live. what exactly are they and how do the prices range. also i have a guy at work who has a lmm aswell and is going to be tuning it. hes saying that he is going to go with H&S tuner. do you know of any benifits of that compared to a efi live? and should i get a turbo back exhaust? will it give me better performance then just a dpf delete pipe would? im not super interested in a loud exhaust but if the performance is better then why not aha.

man you must be gettin tiered of answering my questions ahaha. i swear i am using the search but the dmax is a little more indepth then my ole 2003 tacoma was for modding aha.

·
Vendor
10,957 Posts
alright well ive thought about it and ef the warranty aha now i was reading on another thread where you said that there are other options to the efi live. what exactly are they and how do the prices range. also i have a guy at work who has a lmm aswell and is going to be tuning it. hes saying that he is going to go with H&S tuner. do you know of any benifits of that compared to a efi live? and should i get a turbo back exhaust? will it give me better performance then just a dpf delete pipe would? im not super interested in a loud exhaust but if the performance is better then why not aha.

man you must be gettin tiered of answering my questions ahaha. i swear i am using the search but the dmax is a little more indepth then my ole 2003 tacoma was for modding aha.
You are going to get a lot more out of EFI and custom tuning vs. any canned tuner. A canned tuner is going to improve your performance and fuel economy but will not truly dial in your truck like a custom tune will. EFI will allow you to do that. If you are your buddy are interested, let me know. We can hook you both up with a V2, DSP5s and 5 custom tunes in some sort of package deal.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Willie is great to work with and i absolutly love my tunes Justin did. They both were great to work with.

I was skeptical of efi also, as I don't need high performace, but from being in my friends dmax with edge to this, its night and day

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Welcome from just Across the border. If you go with EFI Live, I actually still have a license left on my V2.

You're going to have to make it to mission raceway sometime. I hardly ever see any Dmax's there, usualy just a few cummins running in the 14s at most.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts