Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,

Just wondering if anyone knew if the Duramax turbo has a silencer ring similar to that of a cummins turbo that can be removed to increase turbo whistle?

Any cheap and easy mod ideas would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

·
Administrator
8,808 Posts
nope. There isn't any cheap way to make more turbo whistle. I put an AFE Stage II and straight piped mine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I guess my age is showing. I had a Dodge CTD, and removed the silencer ring in hopes of getting a bit more boost, but nope, the only thing was a high pitched whistling from the turbo that really bugged my tinnitis. Scheid Diesel ran a dyno test to determine the actual benefits of removing the ring. They got the same dyno readings both with and without the ring. So noise is the only difference. I have a Chev D/A and it has a small turbo whistle at times, but not enough to bother my ears.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I looked into this also. damn near took the turbo off my truck, no silencer ring. i got an 03 lb7. from what everyone i talked to said duramaxs dont have them, just quiet turbos. if you really wanna hear your turbo go to xdp.com and get the 3'' turbo downpipe (like $289). replaces the junk stock flat pos downpipe.

·
Slave to the Interwebs
9,954 Posts
Holy Old thread batman!!!!!
Downpipes can be had at most performance shops nowdays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts