Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just came over from the Silverado/Sierra forum. I am planning on performing the following maintenance on the truck this weekend. It just came off the "free" 2 year service plan so now I get to wrench on my whip. 31,xxx on the ODO. 90% commuting @ 70 miles/day on SoCal asphalt. 10% pulling travel and toy hauler trailers for our RV rental business. The rest of the truck info is in my sig. I've spent @ 5 hours searching through the maintenance section and could not make up my mind on certain things. Here goes...

1. Oil Change - On the fence about going synthetic. I've read our trucks do not care too much about what oil as long as it meets specs and it is changed religiously. I will change as the DIC tells me to. What oil do you recommend? Baldwin B1441 filter.

2. Tranny Fluid Change - Dropping the pan, replacing the pan gasket and replacing both inner and spin-on filters. Allison 29537965 shallow filter, Allison 29539579 spin-on filter, AC Delco 29549684 pan gasket, Mobil 1 Delvac Synthetic ATF. Is the DEXRON VI Synthetic 10-9244 really that bad?

3. Front end lube - Shaeffer Man. 02382-029S Ultra Supreme Grease. I've heard the Lucas, Mobil 1, Valvoline all separate and leak out of the gun when sitting?

4. Fuel Filter - AC Delco TP1015 filter.

5. Air Filter - Do you all recommend the OEM paper filter or a washable? I run K&N drop ins on 2 of our other cars so I would "like" to keep one recharging kit versus several. I used to run UNI filters for our off-road toys, Volant intakes with their PowerCore filters, AFE intakes with their PR10R filters and honestly, I am done with having all these different recharge kits. The only reason I went K&N was ease and availability. With this truck, if I am to spend any money, I want to do it right. The dealer changed the OEM filter @ 6k miles ago so I have some time.

6. Differentials (F & R) - Mobil 1 Delvac Synthetic 75w-90 gear oil. Trying to be brand same, but if the oil, ATF and gear oil were to change, I would want to go with the best.

7. Transfer Case - Going to use the ATF fluid I choose above, whatever that is. Would you guys change anything on this list.

Just tapping in to the knowledge of this forum.

Thanks for all the help.

-Ron in SoCal

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Paper air filter. According to all I've seen and read they filter better and still allow more air. there was a test years ago done to ISO standards and the washable filter (k&N) did horrible. Worst in almost EVERY category. I think there were upwards of 10 different duramax filters tested and washable was by far the worst.

I've used Mobil 1 for turbo diesels since it came out a year or so after I bought my truck and I've always changed it at 10k mile intervals. Still going...

I changed the fluid in my Allison to the Mobil 1 TES-295 stuff a couple of years ago. It made my trans shift smoother than it ever has. Cheapest place to get it that I know of is Summit Racing.

See my sig for info on my truck...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paper air filter. According to all I've seen and read they filter better and still allow more air. there was a test years ago done to ISO standards and the washable filter (k&N) did horrible. Worst in almost EVERY category. I think there were upwards of 10 different duramax filters tested and washable was by far the worst.

I've used Mobil 1 for turbo diesels since it came out a year or so after I bought my truck and I've always changed it at 10k mile intervals. Still going...

I changed the fluid in my Allison to the Mobil 1 TES-295 stuff a couple of years ago. It made my trans shift smoother than it ever has. Cheapest place to get it that I know of is Summit Racing.

See my sig for info on my truck...
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere about paper filter for our Duramax's. I will keep with the OEM stuff for now.

I've used Mobil 1 in my other vehicles religiously; however, I can get the Rotella T6 for half the price??? Summit Racing is the cheapest place for Mobil 1 Delvac. I have 3 gallons sitting in my cart right now.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Yeah, I used Mobil1 in many of my previous vehicles and that's pretty much why I stuck with it on this one. I even use it in my lawn mower, pressure washer and gen set. Used it in a Sanborn 2 stage air compressor I bought back in the 80s. Sold the compressor to a friend back in 2006 for his business. Heavy use on my part and even heavier, commercial use on his part for the past 13 years.... it's still going. Think it's a little over 33 years old now. Got 200k, 250k, 275k running Mobil1 on last 3 gas trucks with 10k intervals.... and all were still running great when I replaced them. No smoke from any of them. The 22 hp Briggs and Stratton in the mower now has 900+ hours on it. I guess that's why I use it. I've had good results with it. Don't know anything good or bad about T-6 but being a full syn oil it's got to be as good as M1 I would think.

You'll probably need a little more than 3 gallons of the TES-295 stuff if you do the drain and fill, drain and fill procedure. I dropped my pan on the first drain / fill and changed the internal filter and I think I used a tad over 4 gallons altogether. I have the shallow pan. I had bought 2 cases of the stuff. Still sitting on almost a full case. The Dexron ATF is not bad. I ran it in my truck for the first ~360,000 miles and never had a problem but the TES-295 stuff is better and goes longer intervals.

How do you like your truck? I purchased a '19 CCSB SRW 3500 Duramax for our company back in Feb. I've driven it a couple of times around the block. Awesome machine!!! Rides smoother than my old 2500.

Here's a link to the a re-post of the report on air filters I read back around 2003. Spend a little time reading that report and the graphs and you'll ditch all your oiled filters. http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love the truck. I came from a '17 1500 LTZ gasser and loved that truck as well. The 3500 6.6 L5P is on a different level altogether.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changed it up. Going with Rotella T6 Synthetic 15w-40 for my oil. Cheaper and going with the recommended weight vs. 5w-40. If it ticks or the motor is louder, I will revert back to plan and replace with Mobil 1 Delvac Synthetic 5w-40.

-Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Why replace the pan gasket? It is reusable. Never have had a problem on differentials or trans gaskets being reused.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why replace the pan gasket? It is reusable. Never have had a problem on differentials or trans gaskets being reused.
I bought one just in case. If the stock gasket is fine, I will re-use it. I just wanted to have one handy, just in case. Even if the gasket passes the eye test, I may change out anyway for piece of mind.

More will be known when the pan is pulled.

Thanks,
-Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts