Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
1,471 Posts
Meh. Need more information like payload and towing capacity before I have an opinion on it. The 400 mile range is great, but how long does it take to charge to that capacity? It's a good step forward for the EV scene, but I don't see many folks jumping ship to it just yet.

·
Registered
925 Posts
As others have stated, too soon to have a real opinion however, I'm definitely intrigued. After reading up on the F-150 electric with on board generator capabilities, I can't wait for that to become an option on 3/4-1 ton trucks as well as for those of us who tow 5th wheels and a 1/2 ton won't work I love the idea of using my truck as my generator when needed vs. packing and maintaining one (I only use my generator once or twice a camping season). Let's just hope it doesn't cost $110k like the new Hummer lol.

Reactions: Melonhead1102

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I will be interested if they make a heavy duty electric truck that can pull my 5er, have as much range as I do currently (without having to wait long to charge when on road trips), and does not cost any more than the already overpriced HD truck market.

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
GM is also gearing up to produce an (EV600) electric delivery van. First deliveries expected this year.
GM Launches BrightDrop, a New Business That Will Electrify and Improve the Delivery of Goods and Services

BrightDrop EV600 - BrightDrop’s second product to market will be the EV600 — an electric light commercial vehicle purpose-built for the delivery of goods and services over long ranges. It will combine zero-emissions driving with a range of advanced safety and convenience features more common in consumer electric vehicles. EV600 features and benefits include:

Powered by the Ultium battery system, the EV600 is targeted to have an estimated range of up to 250 miles on a full charge1.
Peak charge rate of up to 170 miles of EV range per hour via 120kW DC fast charging.
Over 600 cubic feet of cargo area.
Available at a GVWR of less than 10,000 pounds.
Segment leading safety features
Standard safety features2 include: Front and Rear Park Assist, Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Alert, Following Distance Indicator, Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, IntelliBeam automatic high beams and HD Rear Vision Camera.
Additional available safety and driver assistance features include: Rear Cross Traffic Braking, Blind Zone Steering Assist, Reverse Automatic Braking, HD Surround Vision, Rear Pedestrian Alert, Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking, among others.
Cargo area security system with motion sensors to help keep cargo secure.
A 13.4-inch-diagonal, full-color infotainment screen.
Front sliding pocket doors, wide cabin walkways and a large auto-open cargo bulkhead door all contribute to optimize driver efficiency.

·
Registered
894 Posts
A truck to me is meant for working. 400 miles and the payload of this truck won't really qualify as a truck to me. It'll be a yuppie truck at least until the range gets extended. Like the van someone else mentioned, it would probably work well as a city vehicle, short runs and stops all over town all day. That might make some sense.

Something tells me if someone buys one of these to tow their rv, they'll likely be pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In all seriousness..

Where I live you have primarily two to three charging stations..some you will not want to go to after 6 PM .

They are not fast chargers and if you can find a fast charger and do not have to stand in line the cost will soon approach regular gas pricing

The range is a "suggested " range. The extreme weather will reduce it ..period ..so maybe low to mid 300 Miles

These trucks will be expensive to purchase and to maintain if not done correctly

Most dealers do not "currently" have the techs/equipment to do maintenance on this truck..

It may be acceptable for UPS..Style settings

But with in house charging.. for the homeowner..you have a registered electician.. with the appropriate permits for fast charging systems around
$ 1000-2000 depending ( also you must notify auto/homeowners insurance co..There may be additional premiums addons for coverage)

In my state they currently surcharge for certain hybrid/EV vehicles by increasing your annual plate fees( double)..I asked why.."its to pay for the grid"

The Goverments/Auto Industry are pushing electric..

Its just not there yet..Or you could buy the new all electric Hummer for a liitle over a $ 100,000 dollars

·
Registered
344 Posts
A truck to me is meant for working. 400 miles and the payload of this truck won't really qualify as a truck to me. It'll be a yuppie truck at least until the range gets extended. Like the van someone else mentioned, it would probably work well as a city vehicle, short runs and stops all over town all day. That might make some sense.

Something tells me if someone buys one of these to tow their rv, they'll likely be pretty disappointed.
Thats kind of the point. The elites have no interest in representing rural areas and anything that hurts those people is good in their eye.

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
No thanks... I'd get an electric for a commuter car, but not a truck. The range is basically half with any kind of serious trailer. Not even factoring in any degradation from weather. We would need a huge step in power density on the batteries in order for it to work

Engineering Explained on YouTube has several videos on this topic. He blows it out of the water easily. Unless the campground or boat ramp is just on the other side of town, no thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This isn't for me at this time. But how many newer truck owners use their truck as a truck? I'm thinking that it is very, very low percentage.
Short bed owners usually don't even install a tool box and still need a tailgate diaper so their bicycles don't ruin their carpet.
Others that are lifted cant even tow a ZTR mower without squatting.
As far as charging stations, I think regular gas stations will be catching shortly...

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I would guess that more of the HD's are 'working' trucks than 1500's.

Otoh, they build more 1500's than HD's.

For IC engines in gm fullsize pickups there are currently 8 engines available. (and more in the canyon/colorado)
LV3, LB3, L82, L84, L87, LM2, LT8, L5P.

I understand some are gone after this year, and clearly they are not all suitable for heavy towing.
But there is a good possibility that there is room in the market for electric people mover/commuter trucks.

Everybody laughed at the idea of battery hand tools too.
They didn't replace all (and may never replace 'all') pneumatic / plug-in electric / gasoline tools, but they've replaced a lot.

Gonna be an interesting few years.

I parted with the L5P, but I'm not planning to part with my little diesel.
But I'd never say never.
Technology just keeps moving ahead.
Lots of things that I recall being considered 'impossible' or 'not practical' are now considered commonplace.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No fuel additives
No oil changes
No fuel filter changes
No injectors
No DEF
No emission issue limp mode

..... just a few items to think about. However, anything longer than 15 minutes for a full charge will not be considered. Interesting how so many positives can’t overcome a single negative.

I believe that the battery charge/storage technology will improve dramatically in the next few years

Probably be driving my Duramax for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
815 Posts
Agreed on the recharge time.

Something radical will have to happen to the power density. Granted, they're always making improvements, but the gap between the energy in fuel vs a battery is large...

Go to 1:50 in that video...
In the words of Bill Paxton in Aliens...game over man, game over.

Reactions: Philisophe

·
Registered
119 Posts
Electric vehicle tech is fun. But electric vehicles to replace fossil fuel vehicles is a sham. Electric vehicles are measurably more determental to the environment than current vehicles. There is not enough raw materials to make batteries to cover the number of current vehicles. The grid can't handle the load to charge all the vehicles when there are only electric vehicles....and there is more......

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yip, it's all one big sham to think that electric vehicles are going to completely replace IC vehicles. The question is, how far will it go before it's obvious?

Same thing with "green" power.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No fuel additives
No oil changes
No fuel filter changes
No injectors
No DEF
No emission issue limp mode

..... just a few items to think about. However, anything longer than 15 minutes for a full charge will not be considered. Interesting how so many positives can’t overcome a single negative.

I believe that the battery charge/storage technology will improve dramatically in the next few years

Probably be driving my Duramax for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if you use your truck for a grocery getter... you should be fine..

if you want to go anywhere or tow something somewhere other than the boat ramp 2 miles away... you are screwed..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts