Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2019 L5P last October. Between my work schedule and Covid 19, the truck dosen't get driven as much as I intended using it for. Mostly weekend camping trips. It only has 2,700 miles on it. So my question is it harmful for these type of trucks to sit so long between uses? Will the fuel go bad and should I be adding additives? its been 2 months since I filled the tank. Anyone elses trucks been sitting do to the virus? What are yall doing? or am I over thinking this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Important to add fuel stabilizer to both gas and diesel fuel tanks if the vehicle is going to sit for weeks at a time. I use Stanadyne but there are other brands that are going to be equally effective. I like the convenience of having the stabilizer in a right sized container so one container to one full tank of diesel does the trick. It is also a good idea to avoid biodiesel which is prone to algae growth that can clog up the filter and other parts of the fuel delivery system. If you do take it for a drive to keep it in top condition then be sure that they are of a duration of 30 minutes or more.

You may also want to invest in one of the smart battery chargers and every other month disconnect each battery and fully charge it with the smart charger. It can prolong the life of your two expensive batteries.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
My truck sits un-used for 6 months at a time. I use an additive called PRI-D Fuel Stabilizer which removes algae and slime. Seems to do a good job. Costs $36 for a bottle to treat 512 gallons of fuel, so not expensive by any measure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts