Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Limp Mode Distess

A quick question about the 2000 rpm limp mode, why when I shut the truck down and restart did I not have any problems again as of yet? I was driving out of Lewiston, ID and hit my first grade and could barely climb the hill with just the truck. I feel had I been pulling a camper I would have been stranded.
I have a '04.5 LLY 2500HD GMC Crew Cab Long Box, Jacked 6" with 20" rims and 35x13.50 Mickey Thompson's ATZ's. Love the truck, I didn't love the limp!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
If you have no performance mods, I would go straight to the fuel filter. The limp mode is simply to try and save the engine when the ecm senses a problem. Other things will set limp mode such as a bad map sensor, poor egr flow, and sliping trans. but i mst say the very most common limp code is a p1093 either caused by running high horsepower programs which drain fuel psi or a dirty fuel filter which keeps the pump from making fuel pressure, or a combo of both things can cause the problem such as a mild horsepower tune and dirty fuel filter!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Limp Mode Distress

Alrighty 05_LLY, So when I am over 200 miles to the house are these fuel filters roadside changeable or should I look at an up-grade filter set-up? Thank you for your response.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
With a filter wrench ther are no prob to change! I wouldent worry to much about road side changes just keep it changed somewhere between 7 and 10,000 miles max, maybe more if you run your tank empty alot!! But i don know guys who carry one with them if they are on the road alot because you never know when you will get a dirty tank of fuel!!!

Good luck,
Caleb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I found out about the filter thing a day after I bought my truck last week. Also found out about diesel gelling up in below freezing weather. Good times.

·
Diesel Addict
7,755 Posts
actually i don't mind the limp mode it really saves your truck from over doing it,our 05 lly does that on a hot tune,but not near as often if we keep the fuel filter changed every 10,000 miles.it has 90,000 miles on it and my water pump went yesterday other then that it has never been to the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts