Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZF6 and going to try a sled pull. What gear is recommended to start in? Should I shift after i get moving? Stock clutch right now but if i toast it this weekend will be getting a southbend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any manual trans guys out there

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Def stay in one gear, wish I could help with which gear though. Maybe 3rd?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
hmmmm I would say 2nd would be more appropriate only because it doesn't look like you can put out enough safe power to really get it going from a dead stop in third. I could be wrong though. I know that generally most people use third but then again they are higher in the HP #s.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I start off in second daily driving lol, I'd try 3rd..depending on mods, I think some guys use 4th..

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
It all depends on the clutch really..you need to start in something higher than 2nd but that involves you slipping the clutch some, you will def jack up a stock clutch..

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I have seen guys choose the wrong gear a number of times. I even saw a guy smoke his clutch for the first 50ft before he finally realized it and let out all the way on the clutch. I think in 4lo 2nd gear ur top speed is about 1mph lol, but then again 4th gear might stall out a stockish truck.

·
That One Guy
7,421 Posts
Depending on truck power level its pretty common to see guys picking 3rd if they are on the lower end of the power curve and other big boys pick 4th.

Also do not shift unless you want a sled in the back of your truck.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have seen guys choose the wrong gear a number of times. I even saw a guy smoke his clutch for the first 50ft before he finally realized it and let out all the way on the clutch. I think in 4lo 2nd gear ur top speed is about 1mph lol, but then again 4th gear might stall out a stockish truck.
That was my concern with it. Idk how much power he's going to put down but starting out in too high will involve slipping the clutch a crap ton and possibly smoking it and stalling the truck.

Just go try it lol Now that I've seen others feedback I say just give it hell in 3rd.

·
Registered
440 Posts
3rd in 4hi or 2nd in 4low. youll probably have better luck in 3rd

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was thinking 4th in low

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I completely forgot about the hi/lo aspest of the transfer case. 3rd in 4lo will probably work best. It will require the least amount of slipping in the clutch probably while still maintaining decent power

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
It looks like 3rd gear on a zf6 is 2.1:1 ratio and 4th is 1.31:1. The 6spd auto is 1.4:1 in 3rd and that's what I use but it shifts up to 3rd gear. U r actually starting out in one gear with a manual. I'm curious now. Would u get enough ground speed starting out in a 2.1:1 gear? Obviously it's multiplied by the tcase but I'm thinking maybe 4th is better(on a tuned truck making good power).

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
It looks like 3rd gear on a zf6 is 2.1:1 ratio and 4th is 1.31:1. The 6spd auto is 1.4:1 in 3rd and that's what I use but it shifts up to 3rd gear. U r actually starting out in one gear with a manual. I'm curious now. Would u get enough ground speed starting out in a 2.1:1 gear? Obviously it's multiplied by the tcase but I'm thinking maybe 4th is better(on a tuned truck making good power).
That's the only part I'm fuzzy about. His sig says PPE standard and who knows what tune he's running. If he's going easy on it, 4th might choke it out

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
That's the only part I'm fuzzy about. His sig says PPE standard and who knows what tune he's running. If he's going easy on it, 4th might choke it out
I think so too. The standard on the 225 setting makes good power but I don't think it makes enough to pull 4th gear. But only my opinion and I have no experience with pulling a stick truck.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,163 Posts
What kinda tires on the truck? any ladder bars, rear blocked?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Track conditions and equipment on the truck are going to decide the gear I would think

·
Registered
90 Posts
i would put it in 4 low. thats just my t2 cents but what would i know :)
:gearjamin

1 - 20 of 25 Posts