Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has looked in the glove box of a 2020. I am planning on ordering a truck this month and want to make sure it can carry my slide in truck camper. I was at the dealership yesterday looking at a 2020 crew cab long box and noticed the camper loading sticker in the glove box said not recommended for a slide in truck camper. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone with a 2020 can tell me what their camper loading sticker says? Can any of these trucks carry a slide in camper as per the sticker?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not familiar with the camper sticker. GM does not offer a camper package. I can provide you recommend suspension setup depending on size of your camper.

#iworkforGM

·
Registered
93 Posts
I generally would start with 3500 srw with F60 heavy front usage for any high center of gravity applications.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whatever you do get upgrade the anti-sway bars if your getting a decent sized camper. Will make a big difference when it comes to handling

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
If you are looking at a large slide in truck camper you want a Dually.

Reactions: RailwayRog

·
Registered
995 Posts
Most dealers will be able to tell you: You can tow anything and carry anything or you can only carry a couple suitcases and a small crate of fruit, any thing you do will void the warranty.
My dealer told me the reason the new diesels are so quiet is cause of DEF fluid ? Seriously. It's going to take some research.

Reactions: RailwayRog

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whatever you do get upgrade the anti-sway bars if your getting a decent sized camper. Will make a big difference when it comes to handling
There are no sway bar upgrades available. You need to upgrade torsion bar and leaf springs. 2020 front stab bar has more stiffness than 2019.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has looked in the glove box of a 2020. I am planning on ordering a truck this month and want to make sure it can carry my slide in truck camper. I was at the dealership yesterday looking at a 2020 crew cab long box and noticed the camper loading sticker in the glove box said not inrecommended for a slide in truck
camper. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone with a 2020 can tell me what their camper loading sticker says? Can any of these trucks carry a slide in camper as per the sticker?

Here is my glove box sticker for 2500 Duramax

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are thinking of a large camper definitely get a dually. I have a large Lance and a 2005 Dually and it works great. The camper manufactures all seem to lie about the weight of their campers or maybe it is the stripped down model. My 1055 Lance with generator, propane, water and gear is almost 5000 pounds. Buy the dually and you don't have to buy all the aftermarket upgrades after the fact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey makito nice camper/truck setup. I will be getting a double cab long bed 4x4 DA 3500 srw sometime this year to haul my Lance camper. What does your camper sticker on the truck show for weight? What kind of front and rear camper tie downs are you using? Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey makito nice camper/truck setup. I will be getting a double cab long bed 4x4 DA 3500 srw sometime this year to haul my Lance camper. What does your camper sticker on the truck show for weight? What kind of front and rear camper tie downs are you using? Thanks.
Thanks SteveDuramax4x4, below is my camper sticker. I like the Torklift products for tiedowns as well as turnbuckles. These are the turnbuckles I use Truck camper turnbuckles - Industrial turnbuckle | Original FastGuns

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info on the weight rating and tie downs. I also use Torklift products on my 2001 truck..I have fastguns and frame mounted anchors. Does your 2020 truck have frame mounted anchors, or bed/bumper mount anchors?
Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info on the weight rating and tie downs. I also use Torklift products on my 2001 truck..I have fastguns and frame mounted anchors. Does your 2020 truck have frame mounted anchors, or bed/bumper mount anchors?
Thanks.
Frame mounted anchors

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have the picture of my sticker, but it clearly says (and I'm paraphrasing) "not made for slide-in camper"

My folks traded for a dually to haul their camper.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have the picture of my sticker, but it clearly says (and I'm paraphrasing) "not made for slide-in camper"

My folks traded for a dually to haul their camper.
I saw the same sticker you are talking about on a 2020 crew cab 3500. I have no idea why some say not made for slide in camper but my 2020 does not have that sticker. Is yours a crew cab short box? I'm starting to think GM is only putting camper loading stickers on long boxes now and short boxes get the not suitable sticker. I'll check my neighbors 2020 short box asap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I saw the same sticker you are talking about on a 2020 crew cab 3500. I have no idea why some say not made for slide in camper but my 2020 does not have that sticker. Is yours a crew cab short box? I'm starting to think GM is only putting camper loading stickers on long boxes now and short boxes get the not suitable sticker. I'll check my neighbors 2020 short box asap.
Oddly enough, mine's a crew cab long box. Not sure what would be different between it an other long boxes, unless there is a camper hauling option. I'll have to look through the options available when ordering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oddly enough, mine's a crew cab long box. Not sure what would be different between it an other long boxes, unless there is a camper hauling option. I'll have to look through the options available when ordering.
When I ordered my truck I did add the heavy duty front springs and the gooseneck/5th wheel package. Maybe one of those made the difference unless crew cabs are all getting the not suitable sticker. Mine is the only 2020 I have seen that is not a crew cab and the only 2020 I have seen with a camper loading sticker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our 2020 3500 CCLB also says "Not Made for Slide In Camper" - I traded in a 2018 Ram 2500 with the auto-level air suspension that said the same thing, but that made sense as it had about 1700 lbs payload (yup, less than most 1/2 tons)

We have a 2005 Maverick Palomino cabover (designed to work with shortbed and longbed trucks) that's about 2800 lbs dry - and we thought about putting it on this truck but not sure why GM is saying not to? With 3900 lbs payload capacity we should be good - except for that stupid sticker...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Our 2020 3500 CCLB also says "Not Made for Slide In Camper" - I traded in a 2018 Ram 2500 with the auto-level air suspension that said the same thing, but that made sense as it had about 1700 lbs payload (yup, less than most 1/2 tons)

We have a 2005 Maverick Palomino cabover (designed to work with shortbed and longbed trucks) that's about 2800 lbs dry - and we thought about putting it on this truck but not sure why GM is saying not to? With 3900 lbs payload capacity we should be good - except for that stupid sticker...
The pickup camper calculation says you will exceed FGAWR. The payload does not mean alot in the calculation. A percentage of the camper weight goes to front axle. The camper calculation assumes a body in every seat. If you need to carry a camper, you really need to order with F60 heavy front spring or VYU snow plow prep.

#iworkforGM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts