Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
WOW, these new trucks sure have way more payload capacity . I just went out and checked the truck camper load rating and the GVWR stickers on my 2001 HD.. GVWR shows 9,200 lbs... Truck camper load rating shows 1,859 lbs...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The payload capacity has certainly gone up over the years. There are exceptions like the 2018 Ram 2500 we had. The 2500 series Rams use a 5-link rear axle setup, usually with coil springs. Total payload was 1,700 lbs (or close to that) cabover payload was 700 lbs (lol) Ours had the Auto Level option which was fun until it broke and left us stranded 1000 miles from home (with a trailer in tow.) Local Ram dealer said they couldn't even roll it into a bay to look at for over 4 weeks! Nope... Drove to the local Chevy dealer, explained the issue, got a new truck.

Reactions: CntrlCalDmax

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not familiar with the camper sticker. GM does not offer a camper package. I can provide you recommend suspension setup depending on size of your camper.

#iworkforGM
Howdy, I got my new 3500 HD SRW long bed this past Saturday, finally. I ordered it back in December 2019. I specifically ordered it for a slide in camper and wanted the F60 option. The dealer failed to have that added and now they are having some difficulty figuring out where to get it done post factory. I also have the sticker: not recommended for slide in camper. Is the sticker meant to warn of a possible voided warranty if one puts a camper in the bed? Also you said you have a recommended set-up for adding a camper. How do I get that from you? The camper is rated at 3200 lbs. Thanks in advance for help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure if you can do it post factory and the sticker. Your truck would be over FGAWR with a camper and thus camper not recommended. GM has recently updated the order guide to add camper package to F60 and VYU option code descriptions. If your truck is a diesel, F60 or VYU would raise your FGAWR from 5600 to 6000. This is done with a larger torsion bar size.

Assuming you have a diesel, you would larger front torsion bars, alignment, and stickers. The stickers for camper weight, mass, and tire pressures (fgawr increase to 6k will keep pressures at 60) are probably the problem for the dealer.

#iworkforGM

21 - 27 of 27 Posts