Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with my truck is stock as far as I know. I bought it used with 59,000 miles on it in January. It now has about 79,000 miles. I was noticing what seemed to me to be a loss of power when the RPM's would pick up when I would get heavy on the throttle. About two weeks ago i was pulling my travel trailer (about 9,000 lbs) and towards the end of the trip it seemed to get a lot worse. I was barely making it up any hill what so ever. If the truck needed to down shift and the RPM's went up I was losing all kinds of power. So I figured fuel filter, right? Well I changed the fuel filter located up in the engine compartment at my campsite and seemed to be running great. Better than when I first bought it. So I thought my problems were solved... However on my return trip, nearly 700 miles into it, the problem returned. I'm kind of at a loss. It seems to me that there is a fuel delivery problem somewhere. That fuel filter could be plugged already, could it? Are there more than one fuel filter normally? Guys any help would be appreciated. This is my first duramax, diesel period for that matter, and I'm starting to get frustrated.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
You can clogg a fuel filter in as little as one take of fuel if you got some bad diesel. When is the last time you serviced the tranny? There is a spin-on filter that needs to be changed about every 10,000 miles. Also, look at your air filter and see how dirty it is. The only other thing that I can think of that could cause your problem is a dirty mass air flow sensor. Also, the stock truck should only have 1 fuel filter. The most common place that an aftermarket one is installed would be in front of the fuel tank on the frame rail. Did you have any smoke that you could see? How was your fuel mileage? Could be injectors going, but I would start with the easy stuff first before having to go to the dealer for injector diagnosis.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OB 1jr, just to let you know I have been out of town for sometime, and you were right. I changed the fuel filter again and that seems to have done it. Which leads me to my next question. Is the a pre-filter arrangement (in-line filter) that you would/could recomend me installing? Something a little less costly, easier to get to, and does the work before the stock fuel filter? If so, where could I find it?
Thanks for the assist...

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
You can make one yourself for less than $100, but I bought my kit and it has a water separator and fuel heater on it (I was worried about fuel gelling in the filter at -50F). You can get it here: Parker

You can get the same parts from a marine diesel shop. Also, you can get a nicktane set-up and that uses a cat filter.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's more complicated than just going out and purchasing a inline fuel filter. Would a local auto parts store have a filter for inline? What do I need to look out for or be carfull of before I do this. Is there any warning you could give me? I am not so worried about the 50 below temps as you. I am just looking for something that would make filter replacemant simpler and less expensive. Any help would be appreciated...

Shov

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

I am having the same problem? Losing power under a small load only about 5000 lbs? and The fuel mileage was really bad. I am new to the chevy duramax and not sure how the fuel milage should be? There is no mods been done. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
whatever your ailment, change your fuel filter with these.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts