Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2003 Chev 3/4 ton crew cab, 4 door, 4x4 truck,with the 6.6 Durmax and Allison tran.
It has about 72500 miles on it and it gets around 21-24 miles to the gallon, on the highway doing about 110 to 115 k/ hr ,it starts well. It seem to have lot of power.I use stanadyne all season on ever fill

The problem is it seems to have really smelly exhaust, with white smoke coming out.Also when I floor from a complete stop I get a huge cloud of black smoke out the exhaust.

What would be wrong,dirty injectors??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
White smoke at idle usually means you have one or more injector going bad. Prepare to have a much lighter wallet! And a puff of black smoke isn't too uncommon. It is a diesel after all ;)

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will have to check my records tomorral on when the last fuel filter was changed,but why would this cause the problem

If it is a injector problem how do they test for this. Is this somthing you can fix your selve or does this need to be done at dealership
thanks

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If you're pretty handy with a wrench you can do them yourself, its fairly straight forward but pretty involved.

To check them you have a dealership check the balance and return rates of the injectors. That should tell you which one(s) is/are bad.

Sent from my Droid using the AutoGuide app while not driving...

·
Registered
455 Posts
im getting the same thing right now. Just got it back from the mechanics for tranny shift solenoids, ouch. He checked everything his scanner would check, some crazy snap on set up, and everything comes back with a passing grade. Im going crazy with this new smoke thing. Im always the one saying how much better and cleaner im running compared to the cummins and strokers around me. Now its looking like i just bought it at the junk yard. Im not sure what to check next. Any ideas? Fuel filter is new, maf was cleaned, new stock air filter.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
sure you dont have 6.6 Duramax, not a 6.5. Smoke on takeoff/heavy acceleration is perfectly normal. For injectors you need to have a balance test done, not too hard with the right scan tool, might have to go to the dealer for it. White smoke is usually a sign of injectors going but can also be burning coolant. Search for the "paper test" for fuel in your oil, check your dip-stick and see if your over-full, smell the oil shouldnt smell like theres a lot of diesel in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts