Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a friends 2004 LB7 with DSP5 and all the tunes even the stock tune are real unclean. At lower throttle percentages it haze a slight haze coming from the exhaust even while idling you can sometimes see it. About 2,000 miles ago I did a head gasket job for him and in the process noticed that all of the injectors were clogged up half or even better with grit. After cleaning and putting everything back together i could notice a little more noise coming from the injectors but the truck still runs very strong, but it looks a little junkie going down the road spitting out smoke. I have checked the intercooler boots and tubes and nothing has caught my eye. Cleaned the MAF sensor and air filter and still nothing. He had run a smoke tune as his base tune for about 3 or 4 months and recently i have been trying to clean it up. I have had some luck but it's kind of got my that the stock tune is smoking. It might not be with the tuning at all but if anyone has any advice or comments it will be very appretiated. I am only 17 so i have alot of learning to do still but i am startring to grasp it more everyday.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Who built the tunes ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
would you suggest looking at balance rates and timing even on the stock tune? and he had bought a clean 100 horse and a economy tune from Rob but we have run various tunes and tweaked on all of them here and there but before he put that damn smoke tune as his base the clean 100 tune was about as clean as it gets for me but now it is really dirty so thats why i am not sure if its something with the tuning or something internally wrong???

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
:Hmmmhmm...so you found it necessary to "improve" robs tunes...

·
Boom goes the Dynamite
1,123 Posts
What's tune is set up for the 1 position on the dsp. Could it be a dsp mafunction?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have done nothing to Robs tunes what so ever. I have always heard good stuff about him and like i said the clean 100 tune ran on the truck really good but until about a week ago the base tune was a smoke tune and after that i switched it back and put Rob's clean 100 on the base and it is a little cleaner but not near as much as it was before running the smoke tune base for 3 or so months. I have run other tunes on the base but only for a few runs every now and then.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
where are you getting these other tunes from exactly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clean 100 were bought from Rob as well as the economy tune and he has as lope tune, 80 horse tune, and the smoke tune and if i remeber right these tunes came off of a tuning library somewhere and i have run that through my head that maybe i need to stay away from others tunes and that might very well be the case but in the case of the stock tune pulled from the truck that is being run right now, i dont see any reason for it to be doing what it is when no adjustments have been made what so ever.

·
Registered
425 Posts
:helpYea someone needs to help this guy cause his friends truck looks like crap cruzin down the road with a constant trail of smoke!Heyyaa

·
Registered
425 Posts
A bump for his friend!! :thumb

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So let me get this straight...

You loaded Rob's Tune - It was clean (Did you or did you not mess with it?)
You then loaded a smoke tune for a base and tweaked some other tunes (doesn't make since)

You then loaded Rob's Tune back in after not messing with it and it now smokes?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To get this straight ROBS TUNES HAVE NOT BEEN TOUCHED, i still have the original tunes he sent me. After running the smoke as a base everytune that has been put on the truck, including robs tunes smoke more than they should. The tunes i have tweaked are tunes that are nothing special and they are just tunes i have been messing with little by little just trying to get a feel for everything.

After trying different combinations we loaded the stock tune up on the truck with no DSP5 and it Smoked like a box tuner. Is there a relearn stage where the motor has to adapt to new settings like with the transmission or do i need to look further into what is actually under the hood?

Another question of mine is valve lash? Could it be a source of this problem by any chance? I set the valves at .011 the second time around because on initial start up and running after replacing head gaskets we noticed a major power loss and itjust didnt sound right.

I know Rob is one of the best tuners (the reason i bought his product!) yes i have made minor adjustments just so i can get a feel for this whole tuning thing...but that is beside the point cause i still have the origanal tune saved in a tottaly diff. file!

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
No there is no "relearn" procedure.

Valve lash will be fine. OE is .012 and most go with .010, as it seems to run better. Mine did as well.

Might try another full reflash of either Stock or Robs tune. Also is boost reading the same as before? Might do some logging and make sure MAF/MAP sensor is good.

before reloading Either tune, make sure EFI is updated to most current version, as well as V2 firmware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The boost reading and power is as it has always been but i will try logging some PID's and see what i end up with and another question of mine is what would be your suggestion for an all around good base tune to run. I have heard many people running the stock tune as their base and i am not really sure what should be the final base i would need to run.

The truck is not mine it is Kylemanspiderman's if you need to look at the supporting mod's... he posted in this thread.

Thanks,
Daniel

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
I personally would go back to the stock non-dsp tune until you can figure out the issue.

Eliminate as much as possible from the get go.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts