Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of an 03' GMC Duramax, I am second owner purchased at 38000 miles. It has been chiped with 5 stage edge, had exhaust and air intake improvements made. In Jan of 08 i lost my vision enough that driving was not something i did. In the last 3 months i have been able to drive again but my truck is not working properly. I noticed when i first started driving it again that it was not coming up to temp. about 180ish was it. LIving in Mt i figured it was just the cold but did not remember this being an issue ever before. Other than not coming up to temp it had plenty of power and ran fine. Then the smoke came. At first it was just when idling. i thought maybe its just the crap they put in the diesel for the winter here. Then my grandfather died and on a trip to Washington to the funeral the smoke really came on. Even with the warm temps there the the truck didnt seem to come up in temp. but it smoked idling and running down the road. I ran it out to Mikes of Road (who installed the chip and the air). Mike said looks like she's burnen a little rich, u might want to run her out to Danhof (the local Chevy dealership, also where i purchased the truck) they pretty fair people. They hooked up a reader up to it and said its burning a little rich and its probably the fuel injectors. They had replaced the injectors at about 60,000 miles (it wasn't even smoking then, but something told them it needed done and it was under warranty, so they did it, no problems here). So now it has about a 124,000 on it, and im told the injectors need replaced, shouldn;t they last more than 30,000 miles? They would replace them but i missed the warranty by 5 months, but i have 80,00 to go on the mileage. we all know how that works. So finally to my ?. Any one have any ideas, questions, help? I went to the local auto parts stores looking for a book on how to try to fix'er myself, but i was out of luck. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated. injectors were quoted at 3800 wich is more than ill ever be able to afford in my life. any ideas

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
there is a thread on here how to replaced LB7 injectors
and yes they can fail at anytime on the LB7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes 5 months ( story of my life ) but the link on how to with pic im going to check out now. thankyou for the quick responses it took me a while to figure out where to find the replies. I had one person say it might be that the injectors out overfueling in response to the engine not coming up to temp. does any one here know wethor that might be true or wethor its not coming to temp because of the injectors. the whole temp thing has got me wondering if it might be something else. Pulling a trialer in 45deg wether and it still not come to temp. this is a puzzle piece i still dont understand. is there a how to on replacing the thermostats? does anybody think the temp is weird or is this typical with the bad injector thing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice instructions on the how to for injectors, but it still scared me. im not that tallented. what is the dangers of running with bad injectors? i have not noticed a change in mileage yet? or are there worse consequences?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is not using any ccoolant as far as i can tell. the level has been the same and i have not added any. Are these problems a result of the chip. Is the 5 stage edge chip a bad match for these trucks or is there a better match? Is there a book recomended for my truck for doing repair work?

·
Registered
839 Posts
If the fuel is getting into your oil it will contaminate it which you don't want look around the net for injectors to do it yourself 3400 I think yoju said that's a bit high if your doin it yourself

·
Registered
839 Posts
You could you prolly should drive it less the worse it gets especially it you have fuel in your oil. It would be a hassle to take the valve covers off 8 different times

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not if your not using any coolant have you really tried to get the temp up to see if it'll be more like 210

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
temps about 181, even pulling a trailer on the flat. It did not come up till a hill and then it went back down

1 - 20 of 29 Posts