Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 denali, gdp tuning, afe cold air intake, and a fass 95.. so I just bought the truck... it ran good for about 1000 mile. One day I started it up (barely stayed running) while it was idling it was smoking white-blue. Eventually after a minute it quit. Went to take off and it would fill the rd. With smoke and misfire. I had it hauled home and I have been messing with it when I have time. I checked for air at the filter and it seemed fine. The next day I started it and it ran like nothing had ever happened. Went to town and ran around for a few hours, my last stop I shut the truck off. 15 minutes later I stared it and it started smoking again and acting up. It would eventually get up to speed it u baby it, if u go anymore that quarter throttle it almost like misfires and smokes.. NO CODES
-So I have checked the fpr
-Unhooked the fass and hooked it up as if it was stock
-tried bleeding factory filter head

Any input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It could be ..... LOTS OF THINGS. With symptoms like you have, you just have to start looking and see what you can find. Need to have the truck in the status where it is acting up. Personally, I would start by making sure battery and connections are good and battery fully charged. Use your scanner/CTS2 to monitor the MAF, MAP, CTS,anything else you can think of, and see if anything looks abnormal or signals are inconsistent. For instance, if your truck CTS says temp is 180* and suddenly says truck is -40*, ECM will adjust the fueling by adding more fuel, and your truck may have the symptoms you describe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plugged the egr back in and it started running normal again. Haven't drove it much, up and down the road. But I'm almost thinking about taking the egr off. The tune shouldn't be telling the egr to do anything? Correct? I'm confused

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would have expected that your tune would have stopped the EGR from functioning, no opening, just closed, and no DTC's because of that. That's what mine did. Maybe the person who bought the tune said he was going to physically remove the EGR, and the tuner just stopped the codes from showing up. Call the tuner and ask what they did in your tune.

·
Registered
457 Posts
In their defence, they probably don't have a crystal ball to look at so that's why they're requesting a data log. That's how I got issues resolved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts