Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently had to sell my 07.5 dmax and downgrade to an 03 , but let me just say for the lower payment and the increased mileage im not that upset. i love my new, older truck and especially since i dont have to deal with that damn dpf anymore.

I need some professional opinions from thoes of yall that have had the problems with the infamous injectors of the lb7. Ive noticed that when im sittn at a redlight or basically any time the truck is idleing it smokes. i figured it was the superchips programmer that came with it so i took it off and it still did it. i have since put my bullydog on it and it gets even better mileage than before but still smokes. It has 150,000 miles on the factory injectors. Is this the starting of the injectors going bad?

·
Vendor
3,528 Posts
It could be, I'd keep a close eye on your oil to see if there is any fuel in it. The other possibility is the FPR if you have an uneven idle to go along with the smoke. I'd have your balance rates checked out at the dealer if I were you, if the injectors aren't bad they can find if the FPR is your issue by watching rail pressure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
:eek: 150k on factory injectors? I would have to say, YEA! I had to change mine at 105k & again at around 225k. White smoke at idle: rich, strong diesel smell?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it idles perfect. this may be a dumb q but what is FPR, fuel pressure rate??

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek: 150k on factory injectors? I would have to say, YEA! I had to change mine at 105k & again at around 125k. White smoke at idle: rich, strong diesel smell?
YESSSS!!! very strong smell

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check the oil use a paper towel and put a drop of oil on it if there is two seperate halos injectors are bad get them replaced before 200,000
I never did see fuel in my oil, even with the paper towel test. Had my injectors tested at the dealership and had two bad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Besides the torque screws being so tight and pretty easy to round off it's not that hard of a process to change them yourself (with the right tool, of course). Also, ALOT cheaper.

·
Vendor
3,528 Posts
Close, Fuel Pressure Regulator. Sounds like injector issue, go get them checked out.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well ive been doing all my own mechanic work since i was 16. Ive built several 350's, including my 99 tahoe vortec when the intake gaskets decided to go while crusing down the hwy. knowing this and having a garage full of tools, would it better to do myself or go ahead and let the dealer do it this time since they havnt been replaced yet. they do have a 200k mile warranty dont they? i just hate dealing with dealerships.

·
Registered
498 Posts
yeah me eithr then it got bad and most of my oil was fuel ..and mine lasted till 227k so yeah they really depend on the truck but yeah take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
fuel pressure regulator. I would assume injectors though but get it in to the chevy garage quick so they still do it under warrenty i know it is 200K, but think it is only a 7 year.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what should i tell the service department? i know how they can try turn the defaults on the customer....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Tell em that you think you might have an injector problem & that they've never been changed. At least they will test them. Don't know if it will be under warranty but it still needs to be fixed either way.

·
Registered
461 Posts
just remove the programmer/ return it back to stock, and just tell them to check it out because it looks like the injectors are going bad, and you heard there is a 200k mile warrenty on them and see what they say, they all know the problem exists and they have all been fixing them for a few years know, so i don't think they fight it much anymore.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the help!! one other question for yall. 4" or 5" exhaust? straight or the mbrp that has the muffler included?

·
Registered
461 Posts
thanks for the help!! one other question for yall. 4" or 5" exhaust? straight or the mbrp that has the muffler included?
iv'e heard 4" gives you the added power with cooler egt's but the 5" will give you more but will have some dronning noise at certain speeds/rpms. I personally love the way my straight pipe sounds, you can always try that first just cut out the factory muffler and see how you like it, then when you buy the aftermarket exhaust you can decide if you like with or without a muffler.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had the 4" sounded good. Don't know about the 5". Get back with me if you decide to change them yourself (injectors) I've got the injector pulling tool that I'll let you have (you pay the shipping cost, probably just a few stamps) Cost like 80 bucks but sure came in handy & I no longer need it. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
dude just think of it as cool smokin max :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
my 04 smokesat idle too but no fuel in oil and dealer said they tested ok. not sure if i believe it. 94000mi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts