Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

241 - 260 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think the ONLY other thing I miss is a Dead Pedal for the left foot. My 4Runner has it and the aftermarket makes one for my Wrangler but I definitely miss that on longer drives. It surprises me that GM would not spec one in this case.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I also put BD Throttle sensitivity booster on my LP5 makes a huge difference, almost scary! and does not affect warranty, takes five minutes

·
Ain't lookin' back
275 Posts
I also put BD Throttle sensitivity booster on my LP5 makes a huge difference, almost scary! and does not affect warranty, takes five minutes
Man, I couldn't imagine a acceleration pedal any more sensitive as mine is right now. %1 of pedal movement and I'm accelerating. Definitely an improvement over my LML, but I think the booster would be "overkill?". Don't know, never used one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Right now not very happy with my L5P, 2018 3500 Duramax, day one 200 miles into a very long Vacation, the truck started vibrating, traction light came on. Pulled over it had a very rough idle. Plugged in code reader and it came back with a PO300 code, dropped 5th wheel and had it towed to dealership, it only has 5928 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Right now not very happy with my L5P, 2018 3500 Duramax, day one 200 miles into a very long Vacation, the truck started vibrating, traction light came on. Pulled over it had a very rough idle. Plugged in code reader and it came back with a PO300 code, dropped 5th wheel and had it towed to dealership, it only has 5928 miles.
Well crap. Completely curious as to what that code means

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bad injectors. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just drove to North Carolina and back from N. Mich - (yes, as Hurricane Dorian was approaching) - to trade in my 2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0 gas for a 2018 Sierra 2500HD All-terrain 6.6 Duramax. It has 31K miles. I got approx. 21mph on the 1000 mile return trip. It's a Canadian model sold in Ontario, auctioned back to the states. I love it so far, - never driven anything so powerful. We have a 30' 8000 lb. camper - I can't wait to tow it. I'm a little concerned about the cold weather starting in N. Mich this coming winter. I can't find the engine block heater cord - I've looked all around by both batteries. Maybe it was removed? Possibly don't need it? I will be parking in a cold pole barn.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't particularly want to hear from everyone with 10 miles or 100 miles or 1000 miles on their truck? I've owned lots of new vehicles and I was always happy too when I was driving them home. I haven't went back through all 25 pages, after a few pages I'd seen enough. At the risk of sounding grumpy, I'd really like for someone with 500k miles to sound off. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Am I the only one that doesn't particularly want to hear from everyone with 10 miles or 100 miles or 1000 miles on their truck? I've owned lots of new vehicles and I was always happy too when I was driving them home. I haven't went back through all 25 pages, after a few pages I'd seen enough. At the risk of sounding grumpy, I'd really like for someone with 500k miles to sound off. Thank you!
I know I'm I love mine lol. The thing is a pure beast right out of the box. Obviously, it's not my "built"- ish lly, but it's an incredible machine

Ask @M.A.M. He's got one that he ran up to about 250k until he just decided to delete it about 2 weeks ago lol. Pretty sure it never really gave him any real trouble.

Matt, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that lol

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

Sounds like you should start your own thread. Maybe "Do you still like your L5P after 500,000 miles?". Doubt very seriously that you'll get 1 legit reply. If you changed it to 100,000 miles, you'd probably still only get 2 or 3 replies. If that many. The motor is 3 years old.... most Americans drive about 12,000 miles per year. That's 36k miles at most for an early '17. You're just gonna have to wait a while like the rest of us or start following threads like M.A.M's L5P info dump. As a commercial user, he's got about 10 times more miles on his '17 than most using one as a daily driver. Heck, I've averaged about twice the "normal" for American drivers on my truck and it still took me 17.5 years to hit 405k miles.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
I have over 53,000 on mine only stupid stuff for warranty issues, love the truck, remember, Diesel take a while to break in dont run synthetic right away

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like you should start your own thread. Maybe "Do you still like your L5P after 500,000 miles?". Doubt very seriously that you'll get 1 legit reply. If you changed it to 100,000 miles, you'd probably still only get 2 or 3 replies. If that many. The motor is 3 years old.... most Americans drive about 12,000 miles per year. That's 36k miles at most for an early '17. You're just gonna have to wait a while like the rest of us or start following threads like M.A.M's L5P info dump. As a commercial user, he's got about 10 times more miles on his '17 than most using one as a daily driver. Heck, I've averaged about twice the "normal" for American drivers on my truck and it still took me 17.5 years to hit 405k miles.
There's a lot of hot shotters running GM's out there. Some run near 200k a year. I change my oil at 10k and I just changed 18 day old oil yesterday. After my LML experience I've been looking at Rams but I'd give GM one more chance if the L5P is working out well. The 500k bit was just to make a point. Let's hear from a few owners with some miles under their belt so we can see what the longevity is like. At 3 years old now, there's bound to be some half million milers out there but I'd be interested in hearing from folks with 300k or even 200k on them. Not trying to seem grumpy, would just really like to hear real work durability stories now.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
There's a lot of hot shotters running GM's out there. Some run near 200k a year. I change my oil at 10k and I just changed 18 day old oil yesterday. After my LML experience I've been looking at Rams but I'd give GM one more chance if the L5P is working out well. The 500k bit was just to make a point. Let's hear from a few owners with some miles under their belt so we can see what the longevity is like. At 3 years old now, there's bound to be some half million milers out there but I'd be interested in hearing from folks with 300k or even 200k on them. Not trying to seem grumpy, would just really like to hear real work durability stories now.

Totally with you there as I plan to buy a '21 or '22 (probably '21) and I'd LOVE to see some reports from more high mileage L5Ps. I actually test drove a '20 LTZ Thursday. NICE truck. The new back seat legroom is awesome. They NEVER need to make it bigger. It's as good or maybe even a little better than the F150/250 back seat now.

·
Premium Member
8,662 Posts
Ask @M.A.M. He's got one that he ran up to about 250k until he just decided to delete it about 2 weeks ago lol. Pretty sure it never really gave him any real trouble.

Matt, please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that lol

Correct!

Zero complaints from me, no major issues so far. I had the EGR coolant pipe replaced under warranty, there was a bulletin out on those leaking. Mine was dripping just enough that I had to add a little coolant every few weeks. That was back pretty shortly after I bought it.

Right around 100k miles, I had a few injectors replaced under warranty. IMO, it wasn’t an injector issue, but an issue with the electrical connector on the injector causing them to go bad. Replaced all my connectors, and haven’t had any issues in the last 150k miles.

Replaced my coolant tank because of a faulty coolant level sensor.

Replaced one of the NOX sensors twice.

Idler pulley and serpentine belt.

Replaced the EGR exhaust crossover pipe twice because of the bellows blowing out.

That’s all that comes to mind currently, can’t think of anything else. This was all up until just recently had 245k miles.

Distance between regen steadily kept growing shorter. I was at the point it was re-genning every 60 miles, so it felt like it barely ever came out of regen. Can’t complain too much about the lifespan, GM states that service life of the DPF is around 150k miles. I had the choice of either replacing the DPF and cat to the tune of $4k (my cost plus my own labor, a shop R&R would have been substantially more), or deleting it for around the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

241 - 260 of 293 Posts