Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

261 - 280 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
My only complaint so far is no air vents for rear ac in a crew cab. What were they thinking? Make a crew cab and don’t expect anyone to actually ride back there!

I ended up buying a dual 12 volt fan that clips on passenger seat.

Other than that I really like it. Mostly just the use it for pulling 4 horse trailer during show season. 2018 drw 11,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The air vents are under the front seats. They're there. They just don't do much in the way of moving cold air up to the passengers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gotta say just bought my 2018 week ago and went through first regen couple days ago. Love the truck. Barely noticed it until I noticed a strong smell and idle was up just a touch. Comparing this regen to my LML was night and day. The LML it was obvious when it was happening and very abrupt. With the L5P barely noticed and wouldnt have thought until I smelled the odor. I did smell it alittle in the truck too at first. Figured its gotta break in and burn off all the oils etc first before that smell will stop. I am at 547 miles. Overall love the truck. Has a totally different feel then my last LML. Almost drives like a gas engine. Sounds great. This thing will definately sound beastily whenever someone comes up with deletes and exhaust.
This is experience with my new 2019 L5P. I also traded off my LML for this truck. What a beast! First thing I noticed while test driving this truck is the suspension is a little stiffer and more responsive. My 2009 dually felt like driving a Cadillac, a little spongey and very smooth. This 3500HD definition has a more positive feel. Back to the engine the L5P accelerates quicker off the line without turbo lag and having to get up in rpms to move the truck like my LMM. The throttle response feels like a gas truck. The engine is quiet through the rpm range. Amazingly quiet. In fact, I bought the truck, stopped at store for a soda. Went to start truck. I heard the engine roll over, saw the gauges flop, but didn't hear the engine running. I almost tried to start it again but rolled the window down. It was running.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I lost an injector on my 2019 and the truck was down for three weeks.
Aside from that I’m a happy camper with the truck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just thought I’d update from my last post. I’m at 26k now and still not a single issue. How are others doing?

Other than the recalls my 18 has been flawless. LOVE this truck!

Will add that since I have towed heavy and changed out the trans fluid to Transynd there hasn't been anymore 'chuggle'. I suggest to anyone that experiences the chuggle to do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
53,250 miles on my 2017. Original owner. I'm nothing buy happy with it. Zero qualms about the drivetrain. Could have a few interior things been better or different? Sure, rear outboard heated seats & vents in the rear would have been nice.

I really like the WiFi, the power, mpg & the fact it will run forever. The capability is high enough that I will probably never come up against it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah these things will pull a freaking house. The torque comes on so hard and fast and at really low rpms it’s pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm just over 60k on my 2017 (purchased new), and about 15k or 20k of those are towing miles at around 19,000 lbs GCW (many of those miles were twisty mountain roads with steep grades). I've had a mirror replaced (the power folding feature wasn't working reliably) and the truck was eating glow plugs, but after the GPCM was replaced, it seems to have lost its appetite for them.

I just put in fifth wheel under-bed rails and a hitch, and signed a purchase order for a 2020 Grand Design Solitude 3950BH last weekend. Can't wait to see how it does with the new trailer.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It will pull great. This was between 23-24k combined weight and ran through the mountains of WV and TN like it was only a bass boat. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
It will pull great. This was between 23-24k combined weight and ran through the mountains of WV and TN like it was only a bass boat. :)

Plenty tongue heavy.
Same way I'd load it. Tongue weight is good.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put in fifth wheel under-bed rails and a hitch, and signed a purchase order for a 2020 Grand Design Solitude 3950BH last weekend. Can't wait to see how it does with the new trailer.
Thanks for the post. Sounds like we are in the same situation.
I'm expecting delivery of a new 2020 387RDFS NorthPoint soon and looking forward to putting my new to me 2018 Denali HD to work. It will be a totally new experience for me from my 2006 LQ4 6L and a current 12,000# 5er.

Very interested in your experience towing the Solitude with your SRW LTZ.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thanks for the post. Sounds like we are in the same situation.
I'm expecting delivery of a new 2020 387RDFS NorthPoint soon and looking forward to putting my new to me 2018 Denali HD to work. It will be a totally new experience for me from my 2006 LQ4 6L and a current 12,000# 5er.

Very interested in your experience towing the Solitude with your SRW LTZ.
I'll keep you posted! I've never worked with (or towed) a light duty fifth wheel before, so I'm pretty excited to try it out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The thing that impresses me with these trucks is there’s not much rear end squat even when loaded heavy. All my Fords tended to squat down more than I like considering the weight but my new GMC 2500 seems to just shoulder the weight while still manage to grin. On top of this the rear suspension seems more compliant to me offering a smoother ride somehow. Here’s another pic while fueling up. We used a set of hitch scales to make sure we were right at the 10% tongue weight. The trailer totaled roughly
15,500lbs which put us at 1550lbs. tongue weight. Even though we were 100lbs over the spec tongue weight the truck felt 100% perfect. Was amazing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Correct!

Zero complaints from me, no major issues so far. I had the EGR coolant pipe replaced under warranty, there was a bulletin out on those leaking. Mine was dripping just enough that I had to add a little coolant every few weeks. That was back pretty shortly after I bought it.

Right around 100k miles, I had a few injectors replaced under warranty. IMO, it wasn’t an injector issue, but an issue with the electrical connector on the injector causing them to go bad. Replaced all my connectors, and haven’t had any issues in the last 150k miles.

Replaced my coolant tank because of a faulty coolant level sensor.

Replaced one of the NOX sensors twice.

Idler pulley and serpentine belt.

Replaced the EGR exhaust crossover pipe twice because of the bellows blowing out.

That’s all that comes to mind currently, can’t think of anything else. This was all up until just recently had 245k miles.

Distance between regen steadily kept growing shorter. I was at the point it was re-genning every 60 miles, so it felt like it barely ever came out of regen. Can’t complain too much about the lifespan, GM states that service life of the DPF is around 150k miles. I had the choice of either replacing the DPF and cat to the tune of $4k (my cost plus my own labor, a shop R&R would have been substantially more), or deleting it for around the same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mentioned 150k miles for life expectancy of DPF. I have an appointment this week Wednesday to look at a 2017 Denali with 122k miles on it. I dont know the history of this truck yet, but its being sold via a fairly reputable dealership so I'm confident there arent any know problems right now.

My question to you is should I be concerned with the mileage on this truck and how it pertains to the emissions equipment? It's exactly what I'm looking for but I'm obviously not keen on purchasing a headache.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll keep you posted! I've never worked with (or towed) a light duty fifth wheel before, so I'm pretty excited to try it out.
So - after a couple of small trips out with my new North Point, I have to say I bought the right truck! I'm very happy with the performance of this truck overall. From the smooth unbelievable torque to the great ride when towing, I can't be more pleased. The North Point comes in at about 15,500# with a pin weight of #2600# ready to camp. The Morryde pin box helps a lot with smoothing the ride out. What really surprised me was I really didn't need to install air bags at all. Very little squat for a 3/4 ton even with the heavy pin weight. I do know that if I put a small amount of air (30#) in the bags, it does smooth out the bumps somewhat.
I agree with one other here - the addition of some type of climate control, or at least some vents for the back seat would have been a good idea. Even my 2014 Explorer XLT has that.

pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
You mentioned 150k miles for life expectancy of DPF. I have an appointment this week Wednesday to look at a 2017 Denali with 122k miles on it. I dont know the history of this truck yet, but its being sold via a fairly reputable dealership so I'm confident there arent any know problems right now.

My question to you is should I be concerned with the mileage on this truck and how it pertains to the emissions equipment? It's exactly what I'm looking for but I'm obviously not keen on purchasing a headache.
This is my second L5P 2019 .... put 80000 miles on the last on .... no trouble at all and a 50% fuel savings compared to my 6LT gas 2500..
The new one 2019 2500 GMC has only 20000 on it now and trouble free.... will haul 10000 lb trailer with no trouble and only issue was a block heater leak that was fixed the 1st week i owned it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is my second L5P 2019 .... put 80000 miles on the last on .... no trouble at all and a 50% fuel savings compared to my 6LT gas 2500..
The new one 2019 2500 GMC has only 20000 on it now and trouble free.... will haul 10000 lb trailer with no trouble and only issue was a block heater leak that was fixed the 1st week i owned it.
Oh I know the motor and trans are going to do what I need it to. My LMM pulls our 13k lb camper without issue, but I deleted the DPF and tuned out the EGR. I won't be planning to do that with a L5P and want to know if a higher mileage L5P is going to have a higher rate of regens with the DPF being full all the time or worse: complete DPF failure because it's too far gone to be regen'd. I guess I should already know that's likely not the case. My LMM had 240k miles on it when I deleted and tuned, and that was the first year production with the DPF.

261 - 280 of 293 Posts