Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

281 - 293 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh I know the motor and trans are going to do what I need it to. My LMM pulls our 13k lb camper without issue, but I deleted the DPF and tuned out the EGR. I won't be planning to do that with a L5P and want to know if a higher mileage L5P is going to have a higher rate of regens with the DPF being full all the time or worse: complete DPF failure because it's too far gone to be regen'd. I guess I should already know that's likely not the case. My LMM had 240k miles on it when I deleted and tuned, and that was the first year production with the DPF.
I only keep GMC until warranty runs out and they are gone! If warranty does not cover all i trade them!! I work the hell out of them and i am quite happy with the bottom line and the main thing i like is "cold weather starting with out block heater" when i am off the grid ... - 40F i have to cycle the glows 2 or 3 times but they always go!!!!!!! And the engine noise is excellent compared to the ford and dodge products... all i can offer!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S i have pulled a Cat IT 420 on float back into the bush roads and L5P did the job but needed 4x4 and low range .....16000 Ib plus trailer ... she will work....

·
Registered
188 Posts
I only keep GMC until warranty runs out and they are gone! .
You like paying only the highest of depreciation, eh?

To each their own. I buy used and run em until they're a heap.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
You mentioned 150k miles for life expectancy of DPF. I have an appointment this week Wednesday to look at a 2017 Denali with 122k miles on it. I dont know the history of this truck yet, but its being sold via a fairly reputable dealership so I'm confident there arent any know problems right now.

My question to you is should I be concerned with the mileage on this truck and how it pertains to the emissions equipment? It's exactly what I'm looking for but I'm obviously not keen on purchasing a headache.
150K is life expectancy according to GM. I got 250K out of mine, and then it was pretty much in constant regen. Those miles were all towing heavy. It’s hard to tell what shape DOC and the DPF are at that mileage. Probably depends a lot on how the truck was used. You might be fine for another 100k or more, or you might end up replacing them soon. Between 4-5k to replace them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Yeah, I good scanner can read number of regens. More interesting would be miles between more recent regens, but that’s not possible. If you end up with the truck, watch distance between regens. That’ll help judge the health of the emissions system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
If it can read number of regens I should be able to divide mileage by number of regens and get a mileage per regen average. Sounds like 500 to 600 miles is normal, correct? So if its regening more than that the average mileage will be less. Could get me a rough idea of where its at.

·
Registered
311 Posts
An Edge CTS2 is very useful for tracking regens. Don't know if you can pull historic data but it beeps when it goes into regen and it shows the soot level if you want. Mine is mounted on my A-pillar so I see it all the time. I am amazed by he difference in mileage. Normal driving I get about 400 miles to a regen. When towing 14,000lbs I get 600-800 miles. If I am driving in a spirited fashion for a while I get about 200 miles before a regen. I'm sure hammering the go fast pedal generated LOTS of soot so no surprise there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
34K on my truck and never been back to the dealer for any warranty work. 21-23 mpg on highway all day and everyday. Tow’s like a beast and rides like a Caddie. What more could you want. By far the best truck I’ve ever owned and this from a Ford guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
311 Posts
Does the CTS2 still allow for a manual regen on the 2017?
Yes both a manual regen and a mobile regen are available on my 2017. Mobile regen starts the next time you start your truck and you just drive. The manual method the truck sits parked with the hood open revving at 2500rpms for about 20 minutes. Just be careful your exhaust is not pointing towards dry grass or you WILL start start a fire. Ask me how I know.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Yes both a manual regen and a mobile regen are available on my 2017. Mobile regen starts the next time you start your truck and you just drive. The manual method the truck sits parked with the hood open revving at 2500rpms for about 20 minutes. Just be careful your exhaust is not pointing towards dry grass or you WILL start start a fire. Ask me how I know.
In 2007, when the LMMs first showed up at the Chevy dealer I was working at back then, I remember one of our driveability/electrical guys doing a service burn on one and lit the dry grass on the neighbors side of the dealership fence up. He had almost 1/2 an acre burning by the time he heard the fire truck sirens coming down the road (fire house was only a few blocks away from the dealership). That was interesting to watch him try to explain his way outta that one. 🤣

Needless to say he was the only tech at that dealer to ever do that. 😄

Reactions: Melonhead1102
281 - 293 of 293 Posts