Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
I'm That Guy...
16,687 Posts
did your truck kinda bounce in park at 14-1500 rpms before it broke? mines always done it you can tell somethings not balanced right but its got 178k hard miles on it.
:confused:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that LBZ cranks were supposed to be stronger and better than LB7 and LLY cranks. Of course stock those previous models are lower HP but they do get tuned and upgrades

·
Registered
157 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that LBZ cranks were supposed to be stronger and better than LB7 and LLY cranks. Of course stock those previous models are lower HP but they do get tuned and upgrades
well this is a LMM failure, I want to put in a donor LBZ into it without the DPF

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
There were issues with stock trucks within first 10-20k. Its not a super common thing, but its common enough most know about it. Many have tried alt firing cranks to reduce the pressures on the shaft. Some will tell you it works, some will show you broke alt firing cranks. The duramax deisel thread Fingers started is worth the read, very informed and knowledgable guy there.

The best most of us can do is hooe we never have a problem (and 99.99999% wont), its just a few unlucky people who have dealt with it. Tuned trucks are definitely more prone to exaserbate any defects, if there are any though. We pay to play if we wanna tune though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There were issues with stock trucks within first 10-20k. Its not a super common thing, but its common enough most know about it. Many have tried alt firing cranks to reduce the pressures on the shaft. Some will tell you it works, some will show you broke alt firing cranks. The duramax deisel thread Fingers started is worth the read, very informed and knowledgable guy there.

The best most of us can do is hooe we never have a problem (and 99.99999% wont), its just a few unlucky people who have dealt with it. Tuned trucks are definitely more prone to exaserbate any defects, if there are any though. We pay to play if we wanna tune though.
right, totally, my original question is, what are the chances with a LMM broken crank, and shut down right away, that you can just replace the crank? Or is it more common that it trashes the block? and will at least need a line hone and rebuild?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts