Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new here and have been loving the amount of information available on this site.

I have owned a 2002 Silverado 2500HD LB7 for about a year. The truck is stock and has 470,000 kms (292,000 miles) on it. Mostly highway miles as these were retiree snowbirds.

I have been having trouble getting the truck to fire up when it is hot. It’s starts every morning no problem but if I drive somewhere for half an hour, shut it off for 20 minutes and go to try start it, it only cranks, no fire. I’ve done some reading on it and have seen that some possible issues could be: an ignition sensor and/or bad injectors. The truck has been to the shop recently and they tested the fuel rail pressure and the fuel return pressure seems to be too high. So is it as simple as that? Replace the injectors? I have no other perceived symptoms of bad injectors from what I have read. Also, the injectors were replaced in the truck in 2010 at 236,000 kms (146,000 miles).

Next question- at the same time the injectors were replaced the notes (immaculate notes from original owners by the way) say “aux. fuel filter installed.” Any idea where I would find this extra fuel filter?

Last question- does it make sense to replace the head gasket while the truck is in the shop mostly apart at the same time the injectors are replaced? The coolant return line is not hard when the truck is running although there is a small amount of black residue in the coolant overflow and have been told that that can be a symptom of a head gasket that may need to be replaced at some point.

Thanks! 😊

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The extra filter is most likely under the driver's side rear floorboard just ahead of the fuel tank..
Not sure about your won't start condition. I am not THE authority on these trucks but I fail to see how bad injectors would make your rail pressure too high and I also fail to see that as a real big problem that will cause a no start. Was that pressure high when hot or cold or both?
As far as head gaskets, to my knowledge, they have never really been a problem on the LB7 trucks (2001-2004). My truck has had a lot rougher life than highway miles by a retired couple plus the fact that I live on the Gulf Coast - so 96F temps pretty much every day, 5 months / year -ish for the past 18.5 years. Never had a head gasket problem.
Hopefully someone who knows more than myself will chime in about the high rail press and no-start hot. Just doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The extra filter is most likely under the driver's side rear floorboard just ahead of the fuel tank..
Not sure about your won't start condition. I am not THE authority on these trucks but I fail to see how bad injectors would make your rail pressure too high and I also fail to see that as a real big problem that will cause a no start. Was that pressure high when hot or cold or both?
As far as head gaskets, to my knowledge, they have never really been a problem on the LB7 trucks (2001-2004). My truck has had a lot rougher life than highway miles by a retired couple plus the fact that I live on the Gulf Coast - so 96F temps pretty much every day, 5 months / year -ish for the past 18.5 years. Never had a head gasket problem.
Hopefully someone who knows more than myself will chime in about the high rail press and no-start hot. Just doesn't sound right to me.
Thanks for the feedback. I will look for the extra filter.

This is the notes from the shop:

“Scan data for no start once warm.
Road test vehicle. Scan data stream and report. Confirmed customer complaint of no start once warm. Checked fuel pressure values, checked operation of filter head. Technician called injector return rates to high to start when warm.”

1 - 3 of 3 Posts