Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to diesels and recently just purchased a 2004 Silverado 2500HD with a 6.6 LB7 motor. I have been reading and reading and there is alot of aftermarket stuff to get for these. The over whelming part is how do you decide what is right for you?

So here is my question:
What made you get what you put on your truck?
Was it price?
Was it worked better then a different product?

Next question is:
Do you take it all off when you sell your truck and try to fit it to the new ot just let it all go with the old truck.

For me, money is going to play a huge part in what I put on but as of right now it will be a:
CAI = because it will help performance and gas mileage
Lift Pump =because from what I read it will help save my injectors vs any kind of gain. Is that correct?

I hope you all have patience with us newbs here. Just trying to learn the right way to do things. Oh yeah I learned this too:
Duramax = Bada$$. love it so far.

Registered
Welcome to the forum

- Adam

Registered
Welcome. IMO keep your stock intake and spend in the money on a 4 or 5 inch turbo back exhaust and delay the lift pump until after your EFI Live tuned. Just my 2 cents, enjoy the truck!

Registered
In the case of an lb7 i would probably go ahead and grab a lift pump. Anything to prolong your injector life is good in my book. The added filtration will definitely benefit you in the long run. Other than that, a 4 or 5" straight turbo back exhaust is a good idea, along with an upgraded turbo mouthpiece.

To answer your question, you just have to decide what is best for you. Do a LOT of research on here, reading through other peoples opinions, past experiences, and stuff like that and you will be creating your own personalized to do list in no time. just please, PLEASE don't rush in to buying anything before researching it here first. I've seen too many guys do that and regret it later down the road.

oh, and welcome!

I'm That Guy...
Lift pump
intake
exhaust
downpipe
Tunes

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for responding. I looked at all of your sig and wow you guys have a lot of stuff. How long did it take you guys to accumalte most of that or was it carry over from other trucks.

As always I welcome the advice and will always try to do my research before makeing a new post...promise

So I notice none of you had any "Banks" stuff on your rides. Just curious, why is that? Bad product? Over-priced?

I don't want or need anything to extreme but when reading about a Banks big hoss kit it seemed legit and was maybe going to go that rout....just peices at a time.

Registered
Welcome to the forum

Registered
banks is pretty expensive imo. whenever u decide what u want go to the vendor jungle they will usually give u some kind of discount since your a member.

welcome to df

an if u ever want a plow let me know hahaha

Registered
Thanks guys for responding. I looked at all of your sig and wow you guys have a lot of stuff. How long did it take you guys to accumalte most of that or was it carry over from other trucks.

As always I welcome the advice and will always try to do my research before makeing a new post...promise

So I notice none of you had any "Banks" stuff on your rides. Just curious, why is that? Bad product? Over-priced?

I don't want or need anything to extreme but when reading about a Banks big hoss kit it seemed legit and was maybe going to go that rout....just peices at a time.
Do some research on this site and others. I think you'll find why Banks isn't high on the list of the above-average dmax owner.

Everyone always jumps to the typical intake/exhaust suggestions first, but I always suggest gauges. The ability to monitor your truck is very important.

Registered
Exhaust and a mild EFI LIVE mileage tune was the first thing I did to mine. The rest of the stuff just kinda slowly crept on a bit at a time.

Sent from my HTC Inspire with AutoGuide..

Registered
Do some research on this site and others. I think you'll find why Banks isn't high on the list of the above-average dmax owner.

Everyone always jumps to the typical intake/exhaust suggestions first, but I always suggest gauges. The ability to monitor your truck is very important.
I cant agree with you more!

Hey your pretty close to midland!

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Exhaust and a mild EFI LIVE mileage tune was the first thing I did to mine. The rest of the stuff just kinda slowly crept on a bit at a time.

What is a mild EFI mileage tune? I have done some reading and understand what the EFI live is, but what is "mild mileage" tune? How much did that help your mileage? How is it differnt from a regular mileage tune?

sorry for the questions.....just trying to figure it all out.

Registered

Registered
What is a mild EFI mileage tune? I have done some reading and understand what the EFI live is, but what is "mild mileage" tune? How much did that help your mileage? How is it differnt from a regular mileage tune?

sorry for the questions.....just trying to figure it all out.
I guess it probably isn't different than a "regular" mileage tune. Efi all about customization. Mine I think was about a 40 HP tune. Nothing to special. We calibrated the speedometer for my new tires then all at the same time. Hope that answered your questions. Be glad to help you out!

Registered
I don't have a problem with the banks stuff, because it does what they say it will, and I bought mine used from a member on here. Saved a ton of money that way.
Regarding your question bout whether we sell the truck as is or strip the after,market parts, I try to strip everything I can that doesn't take too long or affect reliability. Then I sell everything and use that money to fund the purchase of stuff for the new truck.

Registered
id suggest a nicktane fuel filter adapter filter filters down to 2 microns and its only 20 bucks at you ;local CAT dealer instead of 50(stock fuel filter)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts