Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just drove the truck to operating temperature and shut it off. Popped the good and upper radiator hose is still soft. This is a new hose and new radiator cap. It's soft in the morning when cold so that is good but when hot?

One other thing, just to clarify..fluid level should change between temps correct? Like when cold it will be lower and when hot it will be higher?

Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
the hose should never be that hard because the cooling system is only pressurized to 15 PSI, the only reason it would be too hard to squeeze easily would be if exhaust gas was building up in the system. fluid level should change some hot vs cold, but not by a huge amount, the difference comes from the expansion rate of the fluid, when hot the fluid expands and forces some of the coolant into the overflow tank, as it cools down it sucks some of that fluid back in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on. Thanks for your help. What I think happened was that I purchased a new radiator cap and it was faulty. Took it off and used the old one and all is well. It's hard but not rock hard. I can squeeze it pretty easily. The "new" one when installed made the hose way too soft from my experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.