Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
That's a neat trick. I'll have to give that a shot. For me though, I don't think I can manage running the pressures that low. I'm thinking the TPMS would be triggered on the rear.
Dealer computer CAN adjust the TPMS pressures to whatever you want.
Some have found there dealer was reluctant.

Mine just said 'what pressures would you like it set to?'
We pulled truck in and the connected to it wirelessly and made the change.
The 'Onstar app' showed the pressures we set it to as the 'recommended

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I believe you, you sold me on them. So you'll also be to blame if I'm not happy. What's your return policy on the free advice you offer? 🤪
It’s one of those taillight guarantees ... once you can’t see my taillights ... no more guarantee ... 😉

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Lol, nice. My wheel and tire package is still stock, I'm betting you wouldn't be able to run away from me. I'll just turn up the wick on Derringer and reel you back in. Lol...
Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated. Hopefully the OP doesn't mind my hijacking too much.

Reactions: UTEngineer

·
Registered
DRW HC THUMPER
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Lol, nice. My wheel and tire package is still stock, I'm betting you wouldn't be able to run away from me. I'll just turn up the wick on Derringer and reel you back in. Lol...
Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated. Hopefully the OP doesn't mind my hijacking too much.
Lol nah... any information is appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Bam...

If only the high tomorrow wasn't going to be 30 and windy.

·
Registered
2020 Silverado 4WD LTZ Duramax Crew Cab
18 Posts
I have read this whole thread,.
I have a 2020 Silverado 2500HD LTZ everything is stock. I now have 26k miles on it, so far the dealership has replaced the tires 4 times because of the rough ride, the mirrors shake when hitting just cracks in the highway.
I just picked it up again today from the dealership, they had it for 3 days, they did PICOSCOPE tests on it, they said the readings were within GM's standards, I have had this truck in and out of the dealership since I bought it brand new, at least 8 times now including tire replacements, it has got to the point where today when I picked it up I was invited to a conference with the service manager, technician, and the General Manager to talk about my truck.
I want to keep it stock height, I traded in a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT that I also bought new and 210,000 miles on it, about a year before trading it in I put a 4" BDS lift on it and honestly the ride is either the same to worse on cold days to my new truck.
This truck had Good Years on it, then I had them put Michelin LTX/MS after two sets of those we went to Michelin LX/AT2 275/65 R20 tires, which are currently on it.
Mostly it is my day driver, but I do have a 36' travel trailer I pull from time to time.

I am asking for recommendations on what I can do to better the ride on my truck, anything from tires to shocks whatever you all can recommended will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
When empty 60-65 psi on the fronts, 50-55 psi on the rears or as low as you can without having a warning.
When towing same on the fronts and 75-80 psi on the rears.
What the dealership and most tire companies don’t understand the psi listed on the door is for a loaded truck.
Notice it says max psi this for max weight means when loaded with stuff.
I’ve been running the above psi for as long as I’ve had a truck for towing.
Try the chalk method another subject discussed for many years to adjust the psi for best wear and ride.

Also the Sulastics rubber shackles will help, this has been discussed many times over the years.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
When empty 60-65 psi on the fronts, 50-55 psi on the rears or as low as you can without having a warning.
When towing same on the fronts and 75-80 psi on the rears.
What the dealership and most tire companies don’t understand the psi listed on the door is for a loaded truck.
Notice it says max psi this for max weight means when loaded with stuff.
I’ve been running the above psi for as long as I’ve had a truck for towing.
Try the chalk method another subject discussed for many years to adjust the psi for best wear and ride.

Also the Sulastics rubber shackles will help, this has been discussed many times over the years.
The max pressure on the door decal for my truck is 60psi front, 70psi rear, I run unloaded 52 front, 50 rear. It does ride a little smother, most of my rough ride is in the front,

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have read this whole thread,.
I have a 2020 Silverado 2500HD LTZ everything is stock. I now have 26k miles on it, so far the dealership has replaced the tires 4 times because of the rough ride, the mirrors shake when hitting just cracks in the highway.
I just picked it up again today from the dealership, they had it for 3 days, they did PICOSCOPE tests on it, they said the readings were within GM's standards, I have had this truck in and out of the dealership since I bought it brand new, at least 8 times now including tire replacements, it has got to the point where today when I picked it up I was invited to a conference with the service manager, technician, and the General Manager to talk about my truck.
I want to keep it stock height, I traded in a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT that I also bought new and 210,000 miles on it, about a year before trading it in I put a 4" BDS lift on it and honestly the ride is either the same to worse on cold days to my new truck.
This truck had Good Years on it, then I had them put Michelin LTX/MS after two sets of those we went to Michelin LX/AT2 275/65 R20 tires, which are currently on it.
Mostly it is my day driver, but I do have a 36' travel trailer I pull from time to time.

I am asking for recommendations on what I can do to better the ride on my truck, anything from tires to shocks whatever you all can recommended will be greatly appreciated.
Are 20" wheels the standard size? Besides changing to a smaller wheel to give more sidewall, Bilstein shocks or maybe a set of comfort torsion bars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are 20" wheels the standard size? Besides changing to a smaller wheel to give more sidewall, Bilstein shocks or maybe a set of comfort torsion bars.
20" wheels came on the truck, the tires do have quite a bit of sidewall.

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Bilstein 5100s will help a bit with the ride. Out of curiosity though, did your truck come with the "snow plow / camper prep" or heavy duty front springs? If so, that's the issue.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
The max pressure on the door decal for my truck is 60psi front, 70psi rear, I run unloaded 52 front, 50 rear. It does ride a little smother, most of my rough ride is in the front,
52 Front is to low, try the chalk method to see for yourself, you’ll find 60-65 would be best In the fronts.
That engine weighs more than a V6.
I have 295-55R20 Ridge Grapplers.
It didn’t matter if I had stock 265-70R17’s, 285-70R17’s and now 295-55R20’s I ran the same psi I mentioned in all 3 different sized tires

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
@2149USMC , see my post above, do you have the snow plow prep package?

·
Super Moderator
958 Posts
Well, that's good news then. I can say that I didn't like the ride of my stock truck either. I went with Bilstein 5100s, and I'm much happier.

·
Registered
106 Posts
So my dealer and another local dealer say they cannot reduce the PSI parameters of the computer... Any tips on how to get them to do it?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Dealer is a term to be re-imagined for this purpose. Most people think of the 'dealer' as the place where they purchased their truck, sells new cars, old cars, provides service. There are many garages, repair shops, mechanics, even individuals that have the tools necessary to change the tire parameters for the TPMS adjustment you would like. Those are the places that are most likely to help you, at least for the older trucks. I know there are many reports that the newest years of trucks are 'locked down' and there may not be a good solution for you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They said it can be done aftermarket but would void electronic warranty

41 - 58 of 58 Posts