Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know I just posted about lowering kits but this is the other option I'm torn between.

I see the oru solid axle bolt in kits for 1300. Has anyone used this kit and what else do I need besides a ford hi pinion Dana 60 axle. Also what size tires are you guys clearing with the normal conversion. Do I need track bars and what not or does the kit come with all that. Anyone suggest a different kit. Pictures are welcome too!!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Do you wanna run coil overs or leafs up front. That's the first big question you need to ask yourself.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leafs is fine with me. I'm not doing crazy offroading

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
How big of a lift are you trying to do..? IMO anything under an 8" can stay as ifs.
My brother and buddies have all had major issues on their straight axel trucks. (ford and dodge) while none of the guys i know with ifs have had really any issues except typical wear. That being said, it is impractical in my opinion to put a straight axel on a truck unless you're going retarded huge with a lift.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^agreed.. either go huge with a sas swap or just lift your ifs.. it will ride a whole lot better.

my cousin has an 02 with a straight with only a 4" lift and it just looks dumb.. i mean whats the point with it then, you know?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I almost went straight axle before I beefed my steering up... Told myself if I had anymore problems I would.... But it's really not worth it... Unless you want a monster truck, which makes me start to think I want my truck bigger... So maybe there is a straight axle I'n my future

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^its crazy how addictive it is isn't it?? I'm SERIOUSLY hoping i'll be set for a while (read:happy) once I throw the 37s on when i get home lol

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Yea I'm pretty happy with my 37s started with 33 then 35 now 7s but I did the same thing with my ford till I had 44s on it at one point... Absolutely loved it the only problem is I take road trips all the time and shit use to break all the time...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^well that makes me feel a little better haha. I'm definitely not planning on going any bigger at this point in time. I think from here on out I'll rock a couple sets of 37's and then start to lower the truck more cause i'll be where i want to be power wise by then. (hopefully of course) There's just something about big tires though. I felt like I was driving a girl truck when it was stock height, and then the 35s feel a bit better, however most stock height straights can fit them, so still felt like a sissy. At least most platforms take a bit of work to hammer in 37's lol

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was looking to go sas because for pulling and drag racing I wouldn't be bending tierods and it's going to cost 1600 to lift the ifs sO I figured the sas kit is 1300 and I can get an axle for 700. So for the extra 400 I would have s'more reliable front end

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts