Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of these things is not like the others...you've been warned.

I got these from Walmart. I think the one missing the gasket was purchased back in May; the other two were purchased very recently.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I buy all of my filters from Farm and Fleet (AC Delco except for my tractor) and I ALWAYS take the filter out of the box to check before purchase. I haven't found a missing gasket yet but more than once I have found the wrong filter in the box-probably due to customer shenanigans.

In general it is a good idea to check anything not sealed prior to purchase. Many years ago I was in the now defunct Service Merchandise chain buying a workout bag. They normally stuff these things with crumpled paper to make them look better on display but the one I picked up had been stuffed with other merchandise. It would have been a little embarrassing as a business prof to show up at the checkout appearing to be a shoplifter. I suspect someone planned to steal some stuff via concealment and lost their nerve.

·
Registered
634 Posts
That’s another good reason to look in the box before purchasing. I started looking in the box years ago after buying a filter, going home and when I went to use it, the actual filter was different than what was on the box...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I buy all of my filters from Farm and Fleet (AC Delco except for my tractor) and I ALWAYS take the filter out of the box to check before purchase. I haven't found a missing gasket yet but more than once I have found the wrong filter in the box-probably due to customer shenanigans.

In general it is a good idea to check anything not sealed prior to purchase. Many years ago I was in the now defunct Service Merchandise chain buying a workout bag. They normally stuff these things with crumpled paper to make them look better on display but the one I picked up had been stuffed with other merchandise. It would have been a little embarrassing as a business prof to show up at the checkout appearing to be a shoplifter. I suspect someone planned to steal some stuff via concealment and lost their nerve.
An oil filter missing a gasket just never occurred to me, because they're pressed into the filter pretty solidly; I've never seen one detach from a filter before. The gasket wasn't in the box with the filter at all. I'm pretty confident that this is the result of a manufacturing defect rather than someone tampering with the filter at the store.

If you had been caught "stealing," perhaps you could have spun up a story about how it was part of an elaborate research project. I'm sure the IRB would have backed you up on that.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
It's not just the ring gasket. The anti drain flap differs also, orange vs black.

Of what seems like hundreds of oil filters that I've swapped on different years of HDs, I had become complacent with not checking after filter removal, that the old gasket was not still stuck on the mount.

This wound up biting me after I switched over to the M-1 extended life filter.
The 1st time I swapped one out, yes, that ring gasket came loose and stuck to the mount.

It was dark out and it went unnoticed....until after the startup with new oil and the loud Waterfall noise heard.

What a mess. :|

Many M-1 filters used later, I always check and wipe the plate of oil now, before new install. They usually lose bond with the filter and stay on the plate, but sometimes, not.

Check 'em. :wink2:
Also, review the install pic on the side, as it's a bit different than other filters on how tight it needs to be.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not just the ring gasket. The anti drain flap differs also, orange vs black.
That's true, and at first I thought it was missing something internally, but when I inspected the old filter I found that it also had the black internal flap.

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
Years ago I had a 62 Chevy 327 that had a canister filter, not a spin on.

The new filter came with a new ring gasket. It was necessary to insure that the old gasket came off as it set into a groove on the mount and the top of the canister pushed it up to make a seal on the top and bottom. If you did not, the two gaskets, one on top of the other, leaked (ask me how I know)

I still am in the habit of cleaning the gasket mating surface and oiling the top of the gasket with fresh oil prior to spinning on a new filter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The fuel filter with the O ring gasket were a pain on the prior generations of the Dmax. I always dreaded the thought of changing one of those on the side of the road due to a winter gelling event but fortunately that never happened although I came close with the 2006 LBZ during the early years of ULSD when they were having trouble getting the winter additive mix correct. I drove slowly for about 2 miles on the verge of tripping a low rail pressure code.

Like my 2008 Cadillac CTS, my current 2014 ATS with the 3.6 has a drop in cannister type oil filter accessed from the top. Other than avoiding frying your wrist on the close coupled cat near the oil pan drain plug this is the easiest car I have owned for oil changes and it is nice to be able to do a quick check of the filter element at every change. The pickup is also easy to change also although I am curious whether part of the specs for the running board mounts required that they have a near knife edge on them. The Corvette is definitely less convenient since it has to be up in the air, has two drain plugs, and takes as much oil as my L5P.

I also clean and oil the gaskets during the change; it is an old habit and not a bad one.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
A little light oil on the O-ring and it'll hold in place for the install.

Picked up a 303a from Wally yesterday...opened the box to inspect in-store, filter upside down, lifted it up to see and the ring gasket fell to the bottom of the box.
Flap was orange though. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little light oil on the O-ring and it'll hold in place for the install.

Picked up a 303a from Wally yesterday...opened the box to inspect in-store, filter upside down, lifted it up to see and the ring gasket fell to the bottom of the box.
Flap was orange though. :smile2:
I hope the quality control on their oil is better than that on their filters...I've been using their 5W40 full synthetic diesel oil.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
I think it's a much thicker gasket vs other brands, and the tighten specs on it differ too. Perhaps the extra weight has something to do with it being loose?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
Changed oil/filter today, 10,532 miles.
Unscrewing the M1-303a, I had a 1st. As I was slowly backing it off, with a bit of upward pressure to release the oil spill in the pan, that ring gasket came off and dropped down, hanging on just the center threads.

It's always either stayed on the filter, or on the mount. Never has it dropped down and hung like that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've got two Mobil M1 303A's if anyone wants them for nothing, but to pay for shipping to you. I switched over to a dual bypass system and had bought them but don't need them. Send me a PM and we can figure it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts