Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. My biggest question is, if you can plug in a tuner like the Diablo Sport and reprogram the truck to gain up to 90hp and increase gas mileage, why doesn’t GM do it stock? Even if they only did a moderate tune to increase the gas mileage it seems that it would give them an edge. What is the down side?
2. Has anybody used the Diablo without any other mods and noticed an increase in mileage. I hear that the electronic fuel economy gauge does not work after the tune is installed.

I’m looking mostly to increase mileage with the added bonus of some more power. The Diablo seems to rise to the top and no one seems to have anything bad to say about it.

TIA

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, my feelings is that the people that own the automotive comanies also have at least some ownership in the oil companies (or get .....that way they can double-dip) Also, I don't think there is any real incentive to create a fuel efficient vehicle especially one that tows a house and then some. The only downside would be if you ran the programmer higher than the 3rd setting, it would tear up the tranny. If you use the power in moderation, there is really no downside except the DIC not calculating mileage right. (personally I care less because I hand calculate my mileage)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I know you have a lot more than just the tuner but you do have the one I am looking at. What are you getting for mileage? Is it reasonable to think that I might get 2-3 mgp increase without adding anything other than the diablo? I get about 17-18 now in the summer with 12,000 on the truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have run the 65 horse dioblo tune for about 3 months now and have picked up 2 mpg and in a duelly mind you! i've had no trouble and love it:rockin

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Yes, you would gain at least 2 mpg. Right now I am getting about 18 just driving back and forth to work (about 15 miles one way). That is with 285s and speedo corrected. I am just running my TST now on about 70 hp and the predator for tire corrections. I am still playing around to see what I get the best mileage out of. FWIW, for the first 24000 miles on my truck, I ran the TST and another programmer with no exhaust modifications. I never had a cat on my truck, but it did take a while before I straight piped and then put the 4" system on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
18 MPG is great for 15 mile trips. It seems to get much better on long trips.

Thanks will0316, 2 MPG with no other mods is pretty impressive. How does it feel compared to the stock tune?

It's not going to take much more to talk me into one. If I can convince myself that it will pay for itself in < 2 years I think I'll pick one up - why wouldn't I!:rockin

Any one else care to comment?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about engine life? Are there any people out there running these with high miles?

·
Registered
310 Posts
1. My biggest question is, if you can plug in a tuner like the Diablo Sport and reprogram the truck to gain up to 90hp and increase gas mileage, why doesn’t GM do it stock?
TIA
the main #1 factor in why gm doesn't use more power than they do is emmisions they spend major cash on finding a tune that will pass emissions and have plenty of power(go into your local test station on the highest level they will scream bloody murder after there shop is filled with smoke) also there is other resons drivetrain longevity(they would not offer a 100,000 mile powertrain waranty if they did not desighn these trucks to hold up) and belive it or not noise? more power more noise

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, good answers. I ordered the Diablo Sport Predator last night. Should be in hand by the weekend! It's sure worth a try for $300.

Is it noisier at idle or just under load? One of my favorite things about the Dmax is how nice and quiet it is. I had a 1995 7.3L Powerstroke last and that puppy was LOUD. I think it had been chipped up too but could never verify it.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i gained an average of 4mpg(all highway)on both of my trucks with tuners and exhaust..oh and about the power,lets just say there are some sports cars(Mustang GT,Trans AM WS6,Fuel Injected Turbo charge Camaro and one older Vette)trying to find out how a 05 ext cab dually ate them for dinner..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds fun! You would for pass me in my RX-8 too but the 8 handles the curves at 80 a lot better than my truck. Exhaust will be my next move (but probably not depending on what I get out of the tuner alone)

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i ran with a honda CBR with my dually(he couldn't quite pass me but yet he would slowly creep pass me but run out of room so he had to stay behind me for 6miles of smoke)it's quite nerve racketing having a dually slide around corners..

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would say run an edge juice with attuide as a base add on to get more mpg and performance. I have tried 4 diffrent downloaders and chips on two of my trucks and the edge has given me about 18-20 in the city and 22-24 highway hand caculated. I have found that the on board computer does not work to well for the figures.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I would say run an edge juice with attuide as a base add on to get more mpg and performance. I have tried 4 diffrent downloaders and chips on two of my trucks and the edge has given me about 18-20 in the city and 22-24 highway hand caculated. I have found that the on board computer does not work to well for the figures.
how do you like the PPE compared to the Edge?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i ran with a honda CBR with my dually(he couldn't quite pass me but yet he would slowly creep pass me but run out of room so he had to stay behind me for 6miles of smoke)it's quite nerve racketing having a dually slide around corners..
Did you catch the "Pimp My Ride" show where they put a Dmax in an Impala Super Sport and got it to 800hp and 1400 ft-lb!! Here's a link for anybody that didn't see it. This clip has it dragging a Lamborghini (toward the end of the clip)

Biodiesel Fuel, Mmm Good! | Video | Pimp My Ride: Earth Day Bio-Impala (Full Episode 504) | MTV

Probably old news but still fun.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
ya i see that car,man would that be nice having a 12sec ride and get 30mpg on the highway..

·
Registered
47 Posts
how do you like the PPE compared to the Edge?
I run the edge around town and it runs good. but when i go racing i stack them thats when it gets fun and stock tires didnt last to long !

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
I run the edge around town and it runs good. but when i go racing i stack them thats when it gets fun and stock tires didnt last to long !
did you ever get a P0087 code with that stack or did you do a fuel system on the LBZ already?

·
Registered
47 Posts
did you ever get a P0087 code with that stack or did you do a fuel system on the LBZ already?
Yes all the time, i need to do a fuel system and a trans, after 23,000 miles of abuse everything is taking a dump but lets see what gm is going to do for me first?:gearjamin

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i was gonna say with my PPE alone it kicked the 0087 code all the time but since i did a lift pump it hasn't and now i'm getting twin pumps..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts