Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm on my way to work this morning.. after talking on here yesterday I decided to turn my edge down to lvl 4 until I get at least the transgo installed, and the diablo puck is all the way off which is where I leave it until I get the fuel shim installed..

I was just cruising about 60mph and my truck started surging and I noticed some white smoke.. I immediately stopped and at an idle it was surging like I had a big cam in it.. I turned it off and dropped the edge to lvl 1 and restarted the engine.. it seemed to be idling a little better.. I took off slowly I was only 2 miles from work, I got up to 50mph and in 5th and 6th gear it was jumping bad so I put the trans in manual and dropped it to 4th gear the engine was running decent a little white smoke nothing extreme and it wasn't jumping anymore.. no trouble codes and no explanation..

can anyone shed some light on what I've got going on???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had to go move my truck and it seems like its missing..

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Take the oil filler cap off while the engine is idleing and see if you have any blowby. Also check your injector balance rates. Any codes / check engine light on??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no codes at all..

what should the injector balance rates be?

what do you think might be wrong??

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
when was the last fuel filter change...second dont stack the powerpuck and edge that will add too much timing stacking is not a good idea on a dmax

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
x2 stacking is good for any truck!

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
like he said^^^lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
truck was serviced about 1000 miles ago and FASS was installed then.. I'm assuming they changed the fuel filter because I always tell them to service everything and change all filters.. but sometimes when I start the truck it does say change fuel filter..

btw.. the diablo dial is turned all the way down so it should be as if it isn't installed on the truck

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I updated the edge last time I got an email saying there was new software for it..

I gotta drive 30miles home in 6 hours and I'm scared its going to blow up or something :eek:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
If the fuel filter monitor is saying change fuel filter they did reset the life monitor or didnt change the filter one of the two options, white smoke and surging kind of leads me to believe they didnt change the fuel filter

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well that makes me feel a little better.. is it ok to drive? do the filters on the FASS need to be changed too or just the stock filters?

what that also make it idle rough like its missing?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
i wouldnt think the fass filters would be an issue, the stock filter is what i would look at, rough idle can be caused by a clogged fuel filter not letting enough fuel get threw the system, when was the last time you got fuel? you couldve also got a dirty batch of fuel and it is now rareing its ugly head,

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Where just cruising down the road when it all happened? Did it all happen at once?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes it all happened at once.. I was just cruising down the road and it started surging and hasn't ran right since.. I did just get fuel this week.. what should I do my mechanic shop won't be open until monday :-/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm 30 miles away from any place to get a fuel filter and not sure where it is :-(

If its a filter I'm not going to harm anything by running it am I? what does the white smoke come from?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm 30 miles away from any place to get a fuel filter and not sure where it is :-(

If its a filter I'm not going to harm anything by running it am I? what does the white smoke come from?
Yet another truck running Edge that has a problem. We just might be seeing a pattern here.

Clogged filter limits your rpm, you just loose power, can run rough and affect the shifting pattern with the trans.

White smoke could be from coolant as in blown head gasket which has all of the symptoms you described.
I agree with seth999, stacking is NOT a good thing to do. Not saying you can't , but you will pay a price sooner or later.

Balance rate is from +4 to -4, if the dealer performs the test, find out which cylinders are affected

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.