Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To be honest I am looking at 00-03 PSD's and also the DTD's. I have a few questions about the DTD's. Probably looking at 01-04 DTD's

What issues do I need to look for when I go look at them?

Which years would be preferrable?

Anything else I forgot feel free to add it in.

Thanks.

I will be spending most of today on this board and on the PSD board searching and reading.

·
Registered
132 Posts
well, the first year the duramax came out was in 2001. i'd imagine you'd be looking for one of the first generation duramaxes (01-04) that came w/ the LB7 motor. make sure you check the injectors because some of the first generation had injector problems. that would be the #1 thing to check out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, the first year the duramax came out was in 2001. i'd imagine you'd be looking for one of the first generation duramaxes (01-04) that came w/ the LB7 motor. make sure you check the injectors because some of the first generation had injector problems. that would be the #1 thing to check out.
How do I check the injectors? Is this something I can do myself or do I need to trust a shop to tell me they are ok?

·
Registered
132 Posts
a dealer or someone with a tech 2 can check balance rates on the injectors and they could tell you if the injectors are still good or not, you can run a vin # check to see if the truck has been in for service alot which would also be a good indication that it has problems. the 01-03's have a 7 year/200k mile warranty on the injectors because of this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You and I are much in the same boat... I am deciding between a 7.3 and a duramax myself. I'm leaning towards an 03 dmax just cause they ride and handle better than a ford with it's solid front axle... If I was back on the farm or did alot of hauling I would be leaning more towards a f250.... good luck in your hunt...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up getting a Duramax today. 2003 Crew Cab Longbed 2wd with the 6-speed transmission. It had 66k miles and I paid $19500. It has the stock exhaust, but has an S&B(I think that's what it said) intake made in Canada. It rides almost as smooth as my 02 Avalanche I used to have. Never did test drive the Superduty so I can't compare the two. I have always been a Chevy guy anyways and if I went Ford my buddy would've given me hell. Now I need gauges, then exhaust, then programmer. Looks like I get to use the search function a bunch tonight.:gearjamin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts