Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the Cummins has alot of soot issues, especially clogging the EGR valve, Turbos and of course the DPF. I'm not hearing about these issues on the Duramax forums, only a couple on the DPF side. Are people just not talking about this or are there no problems on the Duramax engines with excessive soot? Could it be that using DEF is keeping this down to a minimum.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
A few people think their trucks are regenerating (cleaning the dpf) on shorter mileage than they should.

This reduces fuel mileage, but does not reduce power/torque they way a plugged dpf would.

The Cummins/Ram uses high rates of egr to reduce NOx emissions. The 2011 Dmax has a DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) injection system (like most new heavy truck, construction and ag applications) to meet the new Nox reduction requirements.

So yes, the def system keeps egr and associated problems to a minimum. The problems you are inquiring about are rare with the Dmax.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
My sig reflects my experience. Liked the truck- hated regen (soot) every 50 mi.-which kept economy in 12-13 mpg. range. GM for the most part has the issue livable.- it would be nice to not have to deal with it but short of deleting it is what it is... my.02 Over all -very happy with Sierra

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
16,262 Posts
I had soot problems. Cracked DPF. When Id step on it itd let out a good amount of soot.
I cant wait to kick the DPF to the curb.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The Duramax is much cleaner burning engine than the Cummins, soot problems are rare on the Dmax. Cummins on the other hand have tons of issues with soot taking out turbo,EGR,EGR cooler, O2 sensors. If you buy a Cummins it is recommended to delete right off the get go to have a reliable engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts