Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy is looking into a Ford *what the hell, you can't fix everyone*

I told him I would find out what are the engines to look at and the engines to avoid. I know some of you really know your stuff.....and though I feel dirty even asking this here at least I know that with this question I will likely get a truthful answer.......

Thanks for the reply.

Mag

·
Registered
17 Posts
If he has to get a Ford, stay away from the 6.0L. The 7.3L is a good engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would avoid anything with a 6.0 powerstroke, so basically anything from 03 or 04 on up. I looked into the Super Duty's before I bought my LBZ. I like the trucks a lot, but the motors are a nightmare. Tell him to do some research on the 6.0....there is a reason Ford is suing International, and it has something to do with the PS diesel costing Ford over $50 BILLION in warranty repairs. There is a reason a lot of ford dealerships have diesel service areas that look like glistening new airplane hangars. Not to mention they don't have the power of a new Duramax and are waaaaay louder. The New 6.4 has some improved areas of over the older 6.0, like a state of the art injection system and strengthened head bolts, two of the weak areas of the 6.0, but it is also untested at this time and has had at least one recall. Also, the new crew cab short bed fords weigh about 8000 pounds, so their performance and mileage (12-14, even on the highway) took a little hit. And they'll sink off road even worse than most diesel pickups.

Personally if I deemed a solid front axle was important enough not to choose the GM truck, which it almost was in my case, I'd rather gamble on Dodges new six speed Orion tranny than a powerstroke.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
50k for the truck, 5k for the repair, bla bla bla. slowly taking your money.:tease

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 7.3L so tell him to look into a 2000-2003 7.3 I wouldn't avoid a 99 psd but would look for a later year 7.3. The 6.0 is a good motor but the early models (03/early 04) have their quirks, if he finds one he likes have him check to see if the recalls had been fixed and he should be good. A bonus the 6.0's have is the torqueshift tranny which is one solid unit. Basically the 03/04 psd is like the 01dmax, good motors have some issues but wouldn't avoid em...

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can't go wrong with a 7.3L so tell him to look into a 2000-2003 7.3 I wouldn't avoid a 99 psd but would look for a later year 7.3. The 6.0 is a good motor but the early models (03/early 04) have their quirks, if he finds one he likes have him check to see if the recalls had been fixed and he should be good. A bonus the 6.0's have is the torqueshift tranny which is one solid unit. Basically the 03/04 psd is like the 01dmax, good motors have some issues but wouldn't avoid em...

SHAME ON YOU:rof

·
Registered
6 Posts
SHAME ON YOU:rof
lol, now you're gonna hate me... I'd rather have the psd over the dmax, I chose to go with a dmax for the ride and handling of the IFS and the durability of the allison tranny... that and I could get a couple year newer of a chevy for the same price as a ford

·
Registered
275 Posts
Anthing older than a 02' I have to say I would probably go with the 7.3 PDS. But I really like the LBZ Duramax. Its awesome.

·
Registered
57 Posts
if you go with a PS and its 05 or 06 6.0 make sure its the Job2 motor and not the job1, job 1 has many problems with coolant leaks. have to remove frame to repair

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the reply's.

Keep'em coming if anyone has any addition thoughts.

This is the first time I have heard someone say something good about the 6.0's You make some interesting points....

Mag...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Chevy! The reason I have one again is that my 2006 6.0 had two head gasket jobs in 22,000 miles! Fortunately the repairs were under warranty at $5000 a pop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts