Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Although I haven't got an Edge Insight or boost gauge on it yet, I am sure it is building boost. A truck this heavy wouldn't accelerate nearly as well as mine does without it. As for no wastegate - I wondered about that, but that was their statement. I haven't been overly impressed with the knowledge at the local dealership. On the first visit I suggested using their stethoscope to track the noise down and that apparently didn't happen until this last trip when they said it was the "wastegate". If the new turbo doesn't do it I am going to strongly suggest we start a buy back/get me a new one with the same color and options.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update: Here we are, almost a month and a half since my last post and the truck finally went in to the shop today. They have a new turbo and gaskets (finally) and they still believe that is the problem. It will take them 3 days to finish the switch and then we'll see if it is fixed. I took an oil sample, which I will be sending to Blackstone Labs, because I don't want an engine that has metal particles (beyond what is normal) flowing through it.

If this doesn't fix it I am going to press HARD for a buy back, as I have lost faith in this truck. I love the truck but I am now "hearing" every little sound it makes and wondering what is going to go wrong next.

Wish me luck!:frown2:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good luck! I know the feeling of losing faith in your truck and it is a shitty one. Every little unusual sound makes your heart sink. I hope they take care of you either way!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Got my truck back today, new turbo under the hood. Drove it home (about 2 1/2 miles), loaded up my snowblower and then to a disabled friends house to clear his driveway for him. Total distance? Maybe 5 miles.........and there was the sound:frown2:. So.....it wasn't the turbo either. I drove back up to the dealership and left it running and whining loudly in the service bay while they went to get the mechanic. They still have no idea what it is and want me to bring it back next Monday.

I am fed up at this point and asked the gal what we had to do to start a buy-back. She said I have to call corporate in Detroit and talk to them. Last time I did that I got a whole lot of nothing!

Anybody know what it takes to get the ball rolling?

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm pretty much done with working with general motors. They don't give a crap about their customers. My shifting issue still has no fix like many others are having. Getting any information is like pulling teeth. My next option will be getting an attorney to deal with lemon laws.
People at the complaint department are completely ignorant.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Got my truck back today, new turbo under the hood. Drove it home (about 2 1/2 miles), loaded up my snowblower and then to a disabled friends house to clear his driveway for him. Total distance? Maybe 5 miles.........and there was the sound:frown2:. So.....it wasn't the turbo either. I drove back up to the dealership and left it running and whining loudly in the service bay while they went to get the mechanic. They still have no idea what it is and want me to bring it back next Monday.

I am fed up at this point and asked the gal what we had to do to start a buy-back. She said I have to call corporate in Detroit and talk to them. Last time I did that I got a whole lot of nothing!

Anybody know what it takes to get the ball rolling?

Paul

I think the best way to get attention from gm is to get a lemon law lawyer involved, I have heard that makes the process a lot easier.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know you have been through a lot!!! Sorry man! I would be pissed before this point too.

If the noise is coming from the front of the engine... Did they look at the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc?? Have another dealer close? Like a GMC dealer? Maybe someone who is more competent.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had issues with my '15 Ram. Pretty much guarantee it was emissions related. Didn't have the power it had, and MPG's dropped from normal. Was to the dealer a number of times. Talking with Customer Care and they sounded just as helpful. If the dealer cannot find anything wrong then they cannot do anything. Dealer is using Ram's diag tools and programming and doesn't see anything wrong via the computer. Ended up selling that truck. 5 months later... Recall comes out for the emissions. Fuckers!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If the noise is coming from the front of the engine... Did they look at the water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc?? Have another dealer close? Like a GMC dealer? Maybe someone who is more competent.

Yep, they took the serpentine belt off again today - still makes the noise with nothing spinning. GM Tech called them back this afternoon and they now think it is the gears between the oil pump and the cam. They have ordered new gears, gaskets, etc. and will have my truck another week or more.

I took an oil sample just before they got the truck this time and it just came back good. No elevated levels other than silicon and potassium which Blackstone Labs attributed to "sealers and flux compound" in the "newer engine". I would think if there were a problem between gears, sufficient to make a loud screeching sound, there would be metals found in the oil!

Getting really old!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I had issues with my '15 Ram. Pretty much guarantee it was emissions related. Didn't have the power it had, and MPG's dropped from normal. Was to the dealer a number of times. Talking with Customer Care and they sounded just as helpful. If the dealer cannot find anything wrong then they cannot do anything. Dealer is using Ram's diag tools and programming and doesn't see anything wrong via the computer. Ended up selling that truck. 5 months later... Recall comes out for the emissions. Fuckers!

I have not experienced any power loss or lower mileage, in fact, this truck has always gotten what I would consider great mileage for a 3/4 ton truck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So... Any luck with your bearing sound?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This just keeps getting better, NOT! They now have the two gears in question in the shop, however, they need a spacer/washer that is nowhere to be found in GM. They called today and said the supplier is supposed to direct-ship one to the dealership. They have no idea how long that will take/when it will arrive. I'm trying to be patient, but...............

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
UPDATE: Got my truck back yesterday and drove it 40 miles (20 each direction with a round of golf in the middle) and back again today. NO SCREECHING SOUND so far!!! I will be taking it to Oak Harbor and back in a couple days (about 5 hours one way) and if it isn't making noise after that I will be satisfied it is fixed for now. Maybe it was the oil pump and cam gears, although I still don't get it; Blackstone Labs said there was no unexplained metal in the oil?!?! Anyway, wish me luck!

Paul

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you for the update. Did they show you the old parts? I would of been asking to see them.
No, I did see the new gears on the work bench when I went in earlier this month while they were still waiting for a spacer that didn't get sent with the gears though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I hope from here on out you can fully enjoy your new truck! Hopefully no more noise or any other issues. Just wish they had a fix for the shifting issue on my truck. Hopefully some day

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I hope from here on out you can fully enjoy your new truck! Hopefully no more noise or any other issues. Just wish they had a fix for the shifting issue on my truck. Hopefully some day
Thanks! Me too! LOL!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is your screeching sound/bearing going bad sound still fixed?

I had mine in today for second time for same sound - except mine is happening between 30-35 mph, accelerating or decelerating, with or without braking, in 2WD or 4WD, I hear it from driver side front, doesn't seem to be on passenger side front......the tech and service advisor can replicate the sound as I've been hearing it, but they have no idea what's causing it yet.

I'll take mine back in next week and they'll put it on a lift and in gear and replicate the sound and listen with a stethoscope to see if they can better diagnose.

I can best describe my sound as similar to a wear tab indicator on a brake pad making contact with a rotor - not quite as screechy as that, but definitely a metal on metal type sound, like a bearing going bad........

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Mine is still fixed. It is now back in the shop for them to replace the grill and the headlight assemblies they scratched while replacing the gears:frown2:. Mine was only at idle at first and as time went on it would make the sound from idle up to about 1500 RPM. Loudest from in front of the truck but definitely heard from either front tire area. If you want your mechanic to talk to the tech here PM me and I'll give you their contact information.

Paul

21 - 40 of 52 Posts