Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 with 110,000 on the ticker.when you come off idle through the rpm range it sounds like a lifter tap coming from the back left side of the engine.balance rates show cylinder 8 -5.03.So now im wandering if its actually a fuel knock.Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Run some additive thru and change your filter and see if the noise goes away. Sounds like an injector might be sticking.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hi just wondering what type of fuel additive is good to use on a diesel? i think i might also have a sticking injector im thinking probably number 8

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
try the injector cleaner in the DIY section, that might help clear it and any other junk out of your injectors that may be causing you trouble

as far an additive i run Diesel Kleen from power service every tank since i bought it a year ago

·
Registered
97 Posts
would that diesel kleen help get the injector to stop ticking if that is what is making the noise. and dumb question but since i live in the boondocks and dont have very many auto stores does o'reillys have that diesel kleen?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i think i am having the same issue, but mine came along AFTER an oil change... i bought mine with 104XXX on the odo.... and did an oil change with 15-40 Rotella T.... i am not liking it... any ideas?

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
what you are hearing with the rotella is called the dmax typewriter tick. completely normal. there is a TSB on it, some oils do it more than others. In my experience delo 400 and delvac 1300- don't. rotella T- very much so

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
some say amsoil fixed it, and if you have money burning holes in your pocket to try to make the tick go away you could try it. but the ticking is normal, not harming anything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Many people around my area suggest Mobil/Delvac

1 - 12 of 12 Posts