Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My 2004 Duramax (235K but well maintained) recently starting making a slight noise. As I picked up speed it sounded like I had a plastic bag wrapped around the drive shaft. The faster you go, the noise increases, quiet at a dead stop. I've crawled around and found nothing, but the sound appears to come from underneath the trans-driveshaft area. Any body experience this before?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Is it possible somthing is rolling around inside the driveshaft? I'd start by pulling it off and move it around to hear if it is something with the shaft itself. Maybe something inside one of the the little hubcaps rolling around? When we where younger my buddies and I would mess with each others rigs, u know the big zip tie tied to the u-joint type stuff, maybe someone is razzing u....

Sent from my SPH-D710

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is it possible somthing is rolling around inside the driveshaft? I'd start by pulling it off and move it around to hear if it is something with the shaft itself. Maybe something inside one of the the little hubcaps rolling around? When we where younger my buddies and I would mess with each others rigs, u know the big zip tie tied to the u-joint type stuff, maybe someone is razzing u....

Sent from my SPH-D710
Haha. I was think the zip tie trick myself, but he said nothing looks out of place.

Id pull the driveshaft and check u-joint play or something in the shaft as stated above.

Check your fluids. Tcase, trans, axle. Might even want to pull cover if all that looks good.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
If it's squeaking (not sure what you mean by sounds like a plastic bag) it may be a U joint. They tend to squeak first when they have no grease and are going bad.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Moved to Drivetrain-- NOT a 911 problem.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I'm going with a U-joint, they can make some funny noises when they go bad. I had one that was bone dry and the needles had broken up and turned into little balls in the cap. Oddly enough if you tried to do the normal tests on the joint when it was in the vehicle, it would pass. No slop or play, everything seemed tight, pulled it anyway and found that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Following, 2015 lml making a sound just like that when off the throttle usually under 40mph. All brakes checked wheel hubs inspected. At a loss.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First thing I checked. Wish it was that simple

1 - 9 of 9 Posts