Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend I happened to stumble across the source of the cab smell I have been getting since last October. Both my dealer and I figured this was the result of a leaking downpipe but after attempts to fix it by first replacing clamps then the entire downpipe failed, I started questioning whether it was really the downpipe. Long story short it was coming from my front diff:cookoo[1]:

On Saturday I pulled the truck in the garage to change out the front diff fluid @ 14K mi. As soon as I pullled the plug I was overwhelmed with an awful smell. I guess the closest thing I can compare it to is the smell you get when you drive by an oil refinery. Kind of a burnt sulfer smell... The fluid itself didn't look too bad but the smell was something else... Within a few minutes my entire garage was filled with the smell and the wife walked in and commented it smelled kind of similar to the odor I was getting in the cab.

What I still don't get is how the fumes were getting out of the diff as I always assumed they were a sealed unit. THere must be some type of vent hose that comes out the top likely on the drivers side as that is where I was getting most of the fumes under the hood.

Well today was the first day in months that I have drove to work and been able to breath fresh air:drink

·
Registered
947 Posts
Never looked for a vent line on my truck, but my Jeeps have vent hoses that are routed up as high as possible to prevent water entry. It's my understanding that all axles are vented, some just don't run the rubber lines up high like the Jeeps. They should have a vent cap also to allow air movement, but not water entry, Jeep has a plastic cap in the hose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts