Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to start things off i have a 08 silverado with the stock keys almost cranked all the way up but not fully but anyways i went in to test fit some 33s nitto mud grapplers on my truck and was worried about them rubbing on the inner fender like ive been seeing but it didnt hit there but hit on my upper control arm and sway bar on fully locked turns.....i was ready for them to hit somewhere so not suprised but my main ? is it a good idea to go with some wheel spacers (goin on stock 17s btw) like the aluminum ones with the studs or just spacers heard bad news of the adaptors like them sheering off....any ideas i dont wanna spend the money on cognito upper arms right now just want some good meaty tires on the truck

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Well... putting spacers on the front is not really a good idea.. and if you are already rubbing on the front, spacers will make it worse. If you want to run rear spacers, as long as you get decent ones, I don't see a problem.. but front, No IMO.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
They hit there because of the big + backspacing on the stock rims. My 275\70 (33*11.5) on stockers rub the same but not bad enough to damage anything. There are some companies that make decent spacers out of billet, not the cheap Chinese crap. It would look funny spacing the front out even more since they already stick out so much more than the back but to each his own. Spacers could run almost as much as cognito uca's. What width of 33" are you trying to fit?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
They hit there because of the big + backspacing on the stock rims. Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Well.. this goes a couple different ways. Having a + backspacing with big/wide tires = rubbing.. but adding in spacers will not correct the issue, it will make it worse. He needs to get proper wheels/lift for his application. I've ran 31's, 33's, 34's, and 35's.. and I've had 16's, 17's, 18's, and 20's, and I've had + and - offsets. I've ran 35's with no lift, and 35's with a lift.. I put spacers on the front and rear, etc.. I've done it all :) And if he gets it to work, his ride will be garbage.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I agree, adding spacers won't help but he is rubbing the ucas because of the positive offset. There's always a better way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks for the help so pretty much get a diffferent rim to fit 33x12.5....they were a really aggresive tire so idk if the knobs on the side of the tire made that huge difference but illl try to get different rims dont wanna spend too much trying to save for a 7 inch bds and 37s for next summer just need something to hold me over till then and make the truck look a lil meaner ha

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Well, even different wheels will not help you.. You are rubbing because you have a 12.50 wide tire. To fix it you will need new wheels and some type of lift or leveling kit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You can't make 33 12.5s with a ten inch wide rim with correct back spacing work?? This is what I was planning on running. Don't mean to hi jack but thanks for any help

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't putting spacers on do the same thing as changing the offset of the rim because in both scenarios ur changing how far the rim is from the hub or m I thinkin wrong....or should I just. say screw it get not so aggressive tires or wait to save for the 7 inch bed lift later and get 285s now(idk if 295/70 r that much different than 33x12.5) they looked pretty damn close the knobs on the side of the tire made the most difference.....

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
You can't make 33 12.5s with a ten inch wide rim with correct back spacing work?? This is what I was planning on running. Don't mean to hi jack but thanks for any help
Wouldn't putting spacers on do the same thing as changing the offset of the rim because in both scenarios ur changing how far the rim is from the hub or m I thinkin wrong....or should I just. say screw it get not so aggressive tires or wait to save for the 7 inch bed lift later and get 285s now(idk if 295/70 r that much different than 33x12.5) they looked pretty damn close the knobs on the side of the tire made the most difference.....
If you rub as-is.. putting spacers on or getting a more - offset will make it worse. The further your tires suck under the truck with a + offset, the easier you can fit bigger tires. If you are already rubbing with a + offset, wheels or spacers will not help.. you have to LIFT it.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
If you rub as-is.. putting spacers on or getting a more - offset will make it worse. The further your tires suck under the truck with a + offset, the easier you can fit bigger tires. If you are already rubbing with a + offset, wheels or spacers will not help.. you have to LIFT it.
That's true if he was rubbing the fender but he's rubbing the UCA and sway bar. A small spacer or - offset will solve the rubbing on the UCA/sway bar, but will most likely cause him to start rubbing on the fender.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
, but will most likely cause him to start rubbing on the fender.
This is what I'm getting at.. I've ran and seen lots of setups.. and 33X12.50's seem to rub somewhere unless you lift it or do a lot of cutting.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
This is what I'm getting at.. I've ran and seen lots of setups.. and 33X12.50's seem to rub somewhere unless you lift it or do a lot of cutting.
You should have explained that instead of just saying it will make it worse. Spacer will fix his problem with it rubbing on the UCA and sway bars, but it will rub on the fenders.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you tonkatoy that's exactly wat I was looking for.... I did the test fit myself so i know how much room I had I had plenty in the fender wells but on a complete locking turn I rubbed the uca's with the knobs like I would only hafta go out maybe 1/2 inch spacer at most but thanks for the cut throat straight answer ha

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
You should have explained that instead of just saying it will make it worse. Spacer will fix his problem with it rubbing on the UCA and sway bars, but it will rub on the fenders.
Still... running spacers on the front of a truck is just a horrible idea. Plus, in order to actually run a spacer he would have to at least get an 1 1/2 or more.. or he will have to shave down his lugs WAY too far. And if he gets the 1 1/2 or bigger he will rub the back fender. Either way spacers are just bad. Wheels.. he may be able to get different wheels and do some cutting, etc.. but it's a crap shoot that he would get the right offset.

Thank you tonkatoy that's exactly wat I was looking for.... I did the test fit myself so i know how much room I had I had plenty in the fender wells but on a complete locking turn I rubbed the uca's with the knobs like I would only hafta go out maybe 1/2 inch spacer at most but thanks for the cut throat straight answer ha
Again, 1/2 spacer will require cutting the crap out of your lugs.. bad idea on the front.. spacers in general on the front are just a bad idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts