Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
it stinks and whistles :)
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...behind the rear seat. I always keep a bottle back there but some how it got flipped over and leaked a nice little bit out and now my truck reeks of it. What's the best wayto get the smell out? It's raining today so all the windows are closed

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
This has been brought up before....from what it sounded like you will prob have to get the carpets proffesionaly cleaned....and that may not work either.

Its pretty nasty stuff

·
Registered
510 Posts
Damn that is going to smell bad for a while man..

If its in the carpet just get some of that foamy carpet cleaner and scrub the hell outa it.

If you have a carpet shampooer in the house with the small attachment i would use that

·
Registered
550 Posts
Had the pleasure of spilling some in my toolbox and it still smells like it 8 months later. Not prob what you want to hear I'm sure, professional cleaning use some carpet fresh on it and a lot of air fresheners, good luck to ya buddy.

·
Registered
915 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I was so hesitant to put it in my cab. But obviously I didn't want to let it roll around in the bed, so I threw it in a freezer size zip lock baggie, then bought a small hard plastic tub that fits under the seat and threw it in there. I figure I'm double covered now and hopefully won't have an issue like yours.

Sorry to hear man! I'd second a professional cleaning, then I've also heard that charcoal will aid in soaking up some of the smell.

·
Received a Hummer
9,628 Posts
If it were me I'd use some type of degreaser... or take it to get it professionally cleaned. I remember when I bought my 5 gallon drum the guy on the phone said not to put it in the cab because they've had customers have to replace the entire flooring just to get the smell out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I wedge the bottle between my passenger side battery and the fender. It stays upright and if it spills, it will only spill down the wheel liner.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Burn a bag of popcorn and open it in your truck..
It will then smell of burnt popcorn but not diesel kleen..

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am a carpet cleaner and you are screwed. No, just kidding. First blot up as much as you can, then pull carpet and remove affected pad and replace with new. While the carpet is in hand, put a shop vac on the back side and try pouring some cleaner thru the carpet to flush out dk. You might need some citrus cleaner to break down the petroleum base. Once the carpet smells ok, dry with shop vac and reinstall all and then finish cleaning the top of carpet.

·
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally got at it today because I Promised a buddy I'd help him move yesterday. I think i got lucky it looks like the spill was isolated to the piece of carpet that folds up between the back of the cab and the rear seat. I sprayed it with degreaser and now it's soaking in the bathtub with oxy-clean. Wish me luck

·
Registered
141 Posts
Isn't there a warning on the bottle that says 'Do not store in cab' or something like that?
lol.

·
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Isn't there a warning on the bottle that says 'Do not store in cab' or something like that?
lol.
Probably but that qualifys as instructions and me, being a man, don't need to read them because I know better. Right?:rof
Oh well lesson learned

·
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The piece of carpet still stinks a bit but the smell is gone outta the truck so I could care less. I'm gonna try some febreeze on the carpet and if that don't work it'll be steam cleaned or just replaced alltogether

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
That is exaclty why i keep mine in my toolbox lol. Some leaked out in there and i don't think the smell will ever go away...hate getting it on my hands too

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Castrol super clean will remove the skin from your hands and the paint from nearly anything.

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
^^^^ that's some good shit for undercarriage cleaning! Just not on paint

·
Registered
510 Posts
^^^^ that's some good shit for undercarriage cleaning! Just not on paint
I just dilute it 50% then run it through my steam washer works awesome

·
Tennessee Smokin'
490 Posts
Same here. We used it to take the oil and asphalt off dump trucks on they're weekly wash. Really is good stuff.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts