Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havea 2003 gmc 6.6 duramax with 170000 miles. It has the bully dog, efi settings, and air dog fuel pump. It will start up great and run for a long time then it starts to sputter than die asim driving down the road like its starving for fuel. Right before it dies my battery light comes on. I let it sit for about 20 minutes it will start right up run for a couple miles then die again. I've changed the fuel filter and disconnected my bully dog. After the fuel filter change it runs great then dies again. I've had it to 2 shops now and both say its electrical and its from the bullydog but when it dies the bullydog is disconnected. Its not throwing any codes neither when it dies. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I suggest you replace the ignition switch-- easy-- just pull the cover from the bottom of the steering column. The switch is right there and is held in by plastic clips. Just pull it down. To install-- have the battery disconnected and the key in the run position-- just slide it in. That way it should be indexed correctly.

You might also lift the under hood fuse box and check under for wires touching the support brackets. They short therre sometimes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could a bad camshaft sensor or crankshaft positioning sensor cause the same problems without throwing the codes?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Took it to a gm dealer and they found the following codes:p0336 crank shafft positioning sensor; p0341 camshaft position sensor circuit;p0463 fuel sending unit; and p1345 crankshaft & camshaft correlation circuit. Any ideas what would cause these codes to be thrown?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the wiring harness that runs along the passenger side of the alternator. I have 2 injectors running at idle 3.0 and a couple running -2.8 the mechanic said i need to replace them what does everybody think?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think 4.0 is the limit in park-you should be good for a little bit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you adeso.....he told me he would replace all 8 injectors with labor for 3,000.

·
Registered
781 Posts
4.0 balance rate is ok as long as you don't have something going on like a cracked body dumping fuel (you would know from fuel in the oil). When you do replace the injectors there is a range of quality-check the warranties on whatever you put in. Unfortunately the LB7 tends to use injectors, do a vin check to see when the last time yours have been replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts