Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Man that sucks with only 50k on the clock. Any idea what caused that, just bad luck? At least you found a good dealer who actually got to the problem sounds like they are taking care of you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Verdict is in.....

Cam shaft failure. Engine is being replaced under warranty. Will be a few weeks before I get the truck back.
Sounds like you have a good shop working the problem. Can you give any specifics as to how the truck was used, idle time, type of oil and change interval?

I realize not the same but the L5P does share similar camshaft and valve train design from the LS engine family. Our work trucks with the 6L have had lifter issues from all the idle time we put on them. I do believe that more frequent oil changes would have prevented or prolonged some of these failed lifter/camshafts.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Truck is my daily driver with 54k miles on it. Idle time was minimal and right in alignment with some winter morning warmups, etc. The failure was not caused by any missed maintenance tasks, oil change intervals, or driving styles. I was told I am one of 25 of these "bad" cams in the country. There was an out of spec lobe lubrication channel on the cam that caused the failure. I have no concerns that this will happen again.

Sounds like you have a good shop working the problem. Can you give any specifics as to how the truck was used, idle time, type of oil and change interval?

I realize not the same but the L5P does share similar camshaft and valve train design from the LS engine family. Our work trucks with the 6L have had lifter issues from all the idle time we put on them. I do believe that more frequent oil changes would have prevented or prolonged some of these failed lifter/camshafts.

Good luck, keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi, Just wondered when your truck was produced? I have a 2018 and it developed a sound simular to yours but after a while it went away. Mine has 19K on the clock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Off hand I don't recall but happy to take a look for you once I get my truck back.

Hi, Just wondered when your truck was produced? I have a 2018 and it developed a sound simular to yours but after a while it went away. Mine has 19K on the clock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Guys/Gals,
I have a 2018 Sierra 2500HD L5P with around 53k miles on it.

I am at my wits end with the incompetent dealership I have been working with and still don't have resolution with this. They have replaced harmonic balancer, water pump, both smooth idler pulleys, serpentine belt, and I STILL have this noise that sounds like a bearing squeal.

Since they weren't honest on their service invoice notes, I have just removed the accessory belt and started the truck and the noise is still there, so that I have confirmed.

Here is the video of the noise.
You will hear the higher pitched metal on meal squeal sound.

Have any of you replace that fan bearing pulley yet. That seems to be the only next culprit or its something else internal to the motor, which I don't think is the case since I would have seen other issues with engine performance. Thanks for your input and taking a look!

Curious as to when you received your truck or when your truck was built? I got my truck in February of 2018 and I have a similar sound. I ordered my truck in December of 2017, so I am trying to figure out if it was built/delivered around the same time. You say there are 25 truck with the issues, do you happen to know if that means 25 trucks have been repaired and there may be more out there, or GM knows that 25 were built with bad cam lobe lubricators?

My truck is a 2018 with 52000 miles on it currently. Age and miles seem to correspond with yours, so I figured I would ask. Maybe calling GM dealership they know the "batch" of trucks built with the bad Cams?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just heard that there have been 25 cases of this in the US. Unfortunately I don't have any other background on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Got the truck back on Friday. The dealer I worked with was very professional and provided impeccable updates along the way. The diesel tech that performed the engine swap was very detailed oriented and executed it flawlessly.

This new engine is extremely quiet. I feel its much quieter then my 2018 was, even before the bearing noise. I believe I got the newest revision of the L5P long block so that may explain the even quieter engine harmonics. Glad to be driving a truck again that runs and sounds like the L5P I bought brand new!

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Congrats!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts