Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinion time. I have a 2011 CCSB. I tow a TT about 5K per year, DD the truck the rest. I put maybe 300-500 miles per year on maintained dirt that can become muddy at times, I face very little snow but lots of heat and rain. I run the stock 265/60r20 size and would like to keep it that way. I currently run Kanati Trail Hogs (a blatant Duratrac copy with 3 ply sidewalks). They are incredibly loud and getting louder by the day, so they are coming off. I am considering the above two tires.

SR/A are about $850 OTD, Adventures are about twice that. Are they worth it? Other options are the Cooper AT3 and the Nitto TG2's. I have heard both can tend to be loud(er) than what I want. Any opinions from someone who has run these tires?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went with the SR/A's as I couldn't see paying double for just a tad bit more aggressive tread. As much as I liked the looks of the Trail Hog/Duratrac copy, the incredible noise and vibes were absolutely horrible. I only have about 50 miles on the new SR/A's but I am so happy I have them. Quiet and smooth and stable. It is like I have a new truck again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
SR/A's get such a bad rap and I don't know why. I've had two sets, first on a '09 F150 and got 63,000 miles out of them, and ow these on my 2500HD with 44,000 miles so far. I tow with them and haul fairly heavy loads at times and they do what I expect of them. And they're quite with a good ride. They're not a pretty looking tire, but you can't beat the bang for the buck and frankly I have to many more important things (to me) to spend my money on than a fancy tire. This is NOT to say that I wouldn't buy something else if it came in the correct size (damn GM!) at a reasonably close price.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Couldn't wait to get those SRA's off my truck. Pulled them at 8K miles. Horrible budget tire IMO.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I plan to upgrade to Nitto 265/60R20 after my SR/A tires are worn out. But I do agree with the OP. They are quiet and provide a smooth ride, they will last 50k easily as well. I do however like a more aggressive tread for snowy conditions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got something like 45,000 out of my first set. I did notice a slight lack of wet traction during the last 20% or so of tread life. The stockers got pretty good traction on gravel roads but again traction diminished over the last 20% of life. I would have gone Adventure AT's but they were crazy expensive. Cooper AT3's looked ok, but I heard a bunch of noise and balance complaints.

I was anxious to run a more aggressive tread but I wanted to stay stock 265/60r20 size. For the price, I can take them off and throw them away at 20,000 miles and still be $ ahead of the Adventures. I may be regretting it, but right now they are so smooth and quiet I am loving driving the truck again. I wish they made more choices in the stock size. I would have been interested in something like a BFG TAKO, but the closest size was a 285/55r20 and it was only load range D.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I got something like 45,000 out of my first set. I did notice a slight lack of wet traction during the last 20% or so of tread life. The stockers got pretty good traction on gravel roads but again traction diminished over the last 20% of life. I would have gone Adventure AT's but they were crazy expensive. Cooper AT3's looked ok, but I heard a bunch of noise and balance complaints.

I was anxious to run a more aggressive tread but I wanted to stay stock 265/60r20 size. For the price, I can take them off and throw them away at 20,000 miles and still be $ ahead of the Adventures. I may be regretting it, but right now they are so smooth and quiet I am loving driving the truck again. I wish they made more choices in the stock size. I would have been interested in something like a BFG TAKO, but the closest size was a 285/55r20 and it was only load range D.
Did you know if you had waves or bumps in the sidewall from early on? Did you ever develope any bubbles or have any other problems with the tires?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did have some very subtle waves in the stockers. Absolutely no other problems and as mentioned, they went about 46,000 I think, and I probably could have gone 50,000. The new ones don't look like they have waves *yet*, but from my understanding the very subtle waves you see are supposed to be normal. I believe it may have something to do with the way the plies overlap and my guess is it may be more noticeable on low profile/smooth sidewall tires. Hard to see waves with deep side biters and tall tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.