Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, have a new 2012 gmc denali DRW coming hopefully at the end of next month. For those of you who went from a srw to a drw where you happy with the decision? This will be my first dually and am quite excited, i have a 2004 LB7 heavily modified/lifted etc so when it comes to parking a large truck into tight spaces im no stranger. The wife and i pull a 28' fifth wheel, and on behind that we hook up our 20' boat. A dually may be over kill for our application but i figured i am done with limitations and we wont have to worry about upgrading a truck if we get a larger fifth wheel down the road. The dullay will be my daily driver and we only really pull during the summer months in canada, the truck will pull sled trailers and likely have a sled deck in it too. Everyone at my work is telling me they dont know why ive purchased a dually haha is it because their jealous or they cant afford a 75,000$ truck.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have had both in many different configurations and the biggest difference I have found is when towing a high profile trailer in gusting cross winds the DRW is much more stable. Also the piece of mind I get when hooking up my gooseneck horse trailer and my wife is heading out to an event by herself, is much greater with a DRW than with a SRW.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had plenty of both. Dually looks great and can pull anything but usually rougher ride. It's the reason I went to a SRW 2500 this time. I got sick of the rough ride. It was a ford too. Lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya we test drove a 2011 silverado dmax LTZ as they didnt have any gmcs on site quite a nice truck. We braced ourselves for a rough ride but honestly it rides far better than my lifted dmax with 8 piggy backed fox shocks. The ride was incredibly smooth.

·
Irish man
320 Posts
It all depends if you are pulling heavy loads carrying heavy weight Dually ride like a dream but empty no load ride sucks I was born and raised with dually's thats why I have a 2500 the ride is better unloaded beside that its the same truck

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thats definatly an upgrade i do plan on doing in the future. But the stockers will have to do for a little while. We took that 2011 dually for quite a trip down the highway/gravel roads and both my father inlaw and myself noticed it to be almost a smoother ride than a 2500 that we took for a ride. We were extremely impressed, compared to the dodge and ford duallys it was like riding on a cloud. We have a bit of a pull with the 28' fifth wheel and 20' boat hooked up, maybe not for a dually but if i do decide to upgrade in the future i want the truck that will handle it i suppose iam sick of limitations, haha thats why iam getting out of a lifted truck essentially cant do much with her other than pull the boat

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was trying to decide between a 2500 or 3500 drw.
I will constantly have around 2000-2250 lbs. in the bed.
What would y'all recommend? I was thinking a DRW but also figured a 2500 with airbags would suffice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What about a 3500 SWR?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just hooked up my 12k gn horse trailer this weekend and my truck handles that trailer so much better than my 2008 F-450 did it's not even a close comparison. A SRW would most likely do the job easily but I prefer the extra safety margin a DRW gives me and my horses. Don't bother with the 19.5's unless you run alot of miles(they last longer), they ride rough, cost more(don't know if they are cost effective or not) and do not add any carrying capability(Your truck's oem tires can do the job your truck was designed to do) and are usually only speed rated to 75-81 mph, check to see the rating before you buy them.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
This is my first dually and i love it. It's my daily driver. We pulled a 35.5foot fifth wheel toy hauler with a rzr and a harley in it to lake havasu. Earlier this summer we pulled it with a 2010 chevy 2500 with air bags and the 2011 dually did way better! Way more power, used cruise control most of the way at 80mph. Ruined the tires on the 2500 but the dually's tires might of worn off 1/4, same speed both times. The only difference for me is one McDonald drive tru in town i cant do the turn with the dually. I love my dually.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Drive thrus in Ft. Mac are some of the tightest I've ever seen. Tried the one at the Royal Bank yet?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Haha i know, i dont go to royal bank...they sure screwed me on the Tim Horton drive tru, the inside lane is better haha.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Fortunatley I park my truck once I get up here and drive a company truck. How do you like the RZR, did you buy it local?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wish they still made a short box crew dually. I had a dually before when I towed a lot and loved it. Stability is far better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts