Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed SSBC Tri Piston calipers and Big Bite rotors !!!!!!!!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!!:)

Need better brakes for your Dmax check these out. Just installed on this 2005 Dmax CCSB running 6" Fabtech lift and 37" BKG KM2. What a difference they make, definately worth the investment.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
what were those slotted rotors you had on there?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will PM you the price for the kit because we do sell it and are not allowed to post $$$$$. The rotors that we removed for the customer are powerslots.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm in need of a brake job. If this will work for me I would like a pm also.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd be interested to know what those would run (price wise)as well.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a link to this kit =http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=92_93&products_id=353

PM's have been sent !!

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
How big of a wheel do you have to run to fit them? I'm gonna assume us 16" guys are screwed from the gate.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
How big of a wheel do you have to run to fit them? I'm gonna assume us 16" guys are screwed from the gate.
chris I believe these particular SSBC calipers are designed to fit in stock (16") wheels if Im not mistaken. :)

Its the $$$$$$$$ wilwood and brembo setups that require the 20"+ wheels...

ben

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
chris I believe these particular SSBC calipers are designed to fit in stock (16") wheels if Im not mistaken. :)

Its the $$$$$$$$ wilwood and brembo setups that require the 20"+ wheels...

ben
That would be nice.

·
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
4,291 Posts
that would be nice to have...I want em

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
I plan on doing everything I can to get rid of the mushy pedal and crappy brakes. I'm burning through pads every summer.

·
Registered
415 Posts
i have them on my 05 for about 2-3 years it makes it like night and day 100% these are worth the $$$$$

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The truck in this pic has 17" wheels and I will double check on the 16" for clearance. You can also replace your old rubber brake lines with Stainless steel to help braking performance.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
The truck in this pic has 17" wheels and I will double check on the 16" for clearance. You can also replace your old rubber brake lines with Stainless steel to help braking performance.
PM me a price on SS brake lines please. Those are on my list already. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I plan on doing everything I can to get rid of the mushy pedal and crappy brakes. I'm burning through pads every summer.
chris have you done the "heymccall brake overhaul"?

Replace the sliders, make sure the pads slide completely freely on the sliders (out of the box, the replacement pads are too tight a fit, I usually 'clearance' them a bit with a grinder), replace the caliper slide bolts, and grease EVERYTHING with an excess amount of high temp brake caliper grease...

That will get rid of the mushy pedal feel and uneven/crappy pad wear 99% of the time.

If you think about it:
Can you slam on the brakes at 60mph on dry pavement and cause the ABS to kick in? If so, then the brakes are obviously stronger than the friction coefficent of the tires on the road and therefore bigger/better calipers really arent going to do much in terms of stopping power/distance (because you are still limited by how well the tires grip the road). You can have the most powerful brakes in the world, but they arent going to do much good as soon as the tires start to skid/lockup.

if that makes sense....

Ben

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
chris have you done the "heymccall brake overhaul"?

Replace the sliders, make sure the pads slide completely freely on the sliders (out of the box, the replacement pads are too tight a fit, I usually 'clearance' them a bit with a grinder), replace the caliper slide bolts, and grease EVERYTHING with an excess amount of high temp brake caliper grease...

That will get rid of the mushy pedal feel and uneven/crappy pad wear 99% of the time.

If you think about it:
Can you slam on the brakes at 60mph on dry pavement and cause the ABS to kick in? If so, then the brakes are obviously stronger than the friction coefficent of the tires on the road and therefore bigger/better calipers really arent going to do much in terms of stopping power/distance (because you are still limited by how well the tires grip the road). You can have the most powerful brakes in the world, but they arent going to do much good as soon as the tires start to skid/lockup.

if that makes sense....

Ben
That makes perfect sense & I'll have to give that overhaul a try. Thanks Ben.
I think my wear comes from all the 1/4 mile passes.
If I had it my way there would be no ABS and I would be able to lock all 4 up at 60 mph. :rockin

·
Registered
194 Posts
I Like the bigger brake Idea, I too will take a Pm for interest in price.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts