Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with 76k miles. I just replaced the two lower ball joints, idler arm and pitman arm yesterday. The only electrical that was unplugged in the process was the sensors on the hubs. They are reconnected and now, only when i slow down and turn my wheel to put the vehicle in reverse, the service stabilitrak sensor light and DIC come on. If i turn the truck off and then turn it back on, the light clears. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be causing this? Thank you for any suggestions and help!

·
Registered
846 Posts
You could be having an issue with the ABS sensors that you disconnected not being fully seated. I would pull the codes and go from there. Do you get low speed ABS activation on dry pavement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i played with it yesterday. The light only comes on when i turn the wheel left at 3/4 to full turn. The chime dings and service stabilitrak comes on with the light. I haven't gotten the codes checked yet. But when i restart the truck, the light and warning clears. when i turn to the left again, it comes on. I rechecked the plugs and they are sealed and snapped in properly. I inspected the wires with the wheel turned to the left, and there is no tension on the wire. So ill be having my dad who is a mechanic check it out this evening. If nothing then ill bring it to dealership to find out exactly where the problem is. I read something about steering wheel sensor. I don't think we got near that, but where is it located and do you think that could be a problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck drives fine with no issues. Just the stabilitrak light on. This is my second day driving it to and from work which is 97 miles round trip and I have had no issue while driving.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had to replace the Steering Angle Sensor on my 09 LMM a few weeks ago. Mine would do it when turning right. Don't know where you live, but mine would always act up if it was warm or hot inside the cab. Could be coincidental following the work you just did.

Sounds like you're experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm in South Louisiana. Humid and warming up fast. But I'll definately check out the steering sensor? Where is it located? Is it under the cab or i have to pull the steering and all inside of the truck?

·
Registered
846 Posts
With the conditions you are describing I would bet that your should replace steering wheel sensor and pigtail. Not a cheap or easy job. It is in the steering column.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem Fixed! After 30 minutes of trouble shooting and an adjustment. The light quit coming on. The problem was that when my dad disconnected the steering from the gear box to change the pitman arm, he thought he put the steering back into the same position, but it wan't, so the timing on the steering sensor was off and making the light come on when i would turn the wheel to the left. We adjusted the steering in the gear box and got the timing back aligned. So note that if you remove the steering from the gear box, make sure the steering is back in the exact same location or it will throw the timing of the steering sensor off. Thank you guys for your input and help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How did you get it back aligned i am having the exact same issue after changing out the pitman arm. Did you have to use a scan tool or simply line it up differently in the box itself?

·
Registered
4 Posts
im having the same problem, except the clock sensor got broke from spinning the wheel with the gear box unhooked, had no steering wheel controls, no horn, no cruise, and service stabilitrac and traction control were coming up. replaced the clock sensor, and everything came back to normal except the service stabilitrac, start truck and it is fine slightly turn wheel and service stabilitrac comes up instantly. not sure what to check first now!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500 HD with 76k miles. I just replaced the two lower ball joints, idler arm and pitman arm yesterday. The only electrical that was unplugged in the process was the sensors on the hubs. They are reconnected and now, only when i slow down and turn my wheel to put the vehicle in reverse, the service stabilitrak sensor light and DIC come on. If i turn the truck off and then turn it back on, the light clears. Does anyone have any suggestions on what can be causing this? Thank you for any suggestions and help!
How did you adjust the timing with your gear box? I’m having the same issue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts