Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 has stabilitrak/traction control which defuels the truck when wheel spin is sensed. I find this to VERY annoying! I typically defeat this feature by pressing and holding the traction control button for 3 seconds when I run the truck hard, but sometimes I will forget and find the truck defueling during at the first hint of wheel spin. Personally, I prefer to feather the throttle to the control the wheel spin. Just curious what others are doing with their trucks that have this feature?

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Ha..my work truck is a 09 Sierra with the massive torque monster in it (4.8L). I usually only have about 3-500 lbs in the bed, depending. That thing loves to break a tire loose around the corner or on on ramps cuz of the torque range on that engine (although not much torque) its enough to get the light 2wd half ton spinning a tire.
It annoys the hell out of me! If i try to accelerate to speed on a wet on ramp or in and out of my construction zones on the freeway with the t/c on i never get up to speed. If i turn it off and feather the throttle i can get up to speed just fine.
Don't know if you have had yours in snow yet, but it sucks in the snow, so does the stability control. I hate it all!
I learned to drive in mud, snow, wet and icy conditions in my first truck which was a 89 s-10 blazer, no traction control, no abs, no stability control. Never got in a wreck....
This shit, that by law has to be on the vehicles now is for people that can't control their vehicle. Yes, some guys might like it but in all reality you should be able to drive your truck/car without it and not depend on it to save your life. Your life should be in your own hands, not a computer controlled system on your vehicle.

Sorry for the small rant lol

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you are only holding the button for 3 seconds I believe you are only turning off traction control... hold for 10-15 seconds and it will turn traction and stabiltrak off as they are two different things (shoud flash on the LCD when both are off if I recall). Annoying to do every time you get in the rig but this will ensure you can do wheel smokin' donuts all day long.

I am not aware of any way to disable the system all together but maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
If you are only holding the button for 3 seconds I believe you are only turning off traction control... hold for 10-15 seconds and it will turn traction and stabiltrak off as they are two different things (shoud flash on the LCD when both are off if I recall). Annoying to do every time you get in the rig but this will ensure you can do wheel smokin' donuts all day long.

I am not aware of any way to disable the system all together but maybe someone else will chime in.
^ Agreed. I think its more like 5-8 seconds to get the stability off though. lol....just hold it till it pops up on the display..thats what i do

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just push my button and it disables it all. It gets annoying because I forget all the time just like you. No way around it, just have to remember it.

·
Doin it...
1,278 Posts
This is my first truck to ever have it, and it drives me NUTS!!! I wonder if you can just snip a wire?

·
Registered
673 Posts
This is my first truck to ever have it, and it drives me NUTS!!! I wonder if you can just snip a wire?
I hear lots of people complaing about the sytem... and don't get me wrong it is annoying at times, like wet roads when you need to get on it.

But I had one instance in my 08 gasser towing my enclosed snowmobile trailer loaded with sleds and higway went from dry to slush covered in an instant. I was still in 2wd and the truck and trailer started to slide from the heavy slush. The TC and stabilitrak straightened it out or I would have had a lot of damage or loss to my truck, trailer, sleds and maybe myself. Once it saves your a$$ once you will appreciate it in some bad road conditions.

Really annoying at slow speeds but cruising down the road doing 55+ and it could be a life saver. My 08 dmax does not have TC/ST but in the winter on the highway I wish it did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts