Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a juice w/attitude on my truck but not hooked up. I recently bought a PPE xcellerator(180 hp) and have that running on my truck now. I like the attitude display and features of the edge but the power of the PPE. Here is my question.....could I use the Edge on stock mode for gauges and display? Or could I use the levels 1-? on the edge in conjunction with the PPE programmer? I dont want to wreck anything but it would be nice to see what my egts and boost is at with the attitude....more power wouldnt be bad either:)

Any suggestions, input, or experience?

·
Registered
352 Posts
so you want to know if you can stack the two? I would say no, you can use the attitude monitor on a stock truck

I hope this helps I dont quit understand your question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know my question isnt very clear....sorry.

I have the 180hp ppe program downloaded in the truck now. I previously had a juice with attitude(still under the hood...not connected) I want to know if I can run them both simultaniously? Even if I can run the juice/attitude combo on stock it woulkd still give me the gauge feature I desire.

:help

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I am not really up to speed on the Duramaxes a whole lot, but heres what I think -

I don't see why not. I know with the cummins trucks the only way to make really big power is to run a chip on top of a programmer. You may want to run the PPE on a lower setting if you plan to also use the edge box. If not, i don't know why the edge would cause any problems when set to the stock setting. the only problems i could see would be excessive timing while running both enhancements and possibly transmission slippage if you use alot of the power.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
yes u can,I ran that stack for a while for the same reason, best to just leave the edge on stock setting if your going to run the ppe on high u can run juice on 1/0 for a very little power increase but with the edge as long as it is hooked up it still adds a little bit of timing on stock setting, if you run the ppe on a lower settting you can use higher levels of the edge but just pay attention and if the truck starts doing weird thing turn it down a notch!!!!

But beware stacking can lead to many problems, such as a cooked trans, bad bursting, fuel rail pressure codes setting and setting the engine into limp mode

Hope this helps
Caleb

·
Registered
17 Posts
Be Careful

I know that you can stack with a measure of success, However you can also launch an allison if your not careful, one customer wondered what would happen if he turned his edge on after I put a pretty hot tune on it. Well the edge adjusts timing and fuel, if you already have a hot tune thats highly modified, adding timing or fuel can be bad, He had a wickedly hard shift at wot, scared the crap out of him!! he never did that again.

Interesting things is that parameters that you would'nt normally think of have a large effect on the allsions shifting, such as timing,boost,torque tables.

Experiment safely!!!

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
I know that you can stack with a measure of success, However you can also launch an allison if your not careful, one customer wondered what would happen if he turned his edge on after I put a pretty hot tune on it. Well the edge adjusts timing and fuel, if you already have a hot tune thats highly modified, adding timing or fuel can be bad, He had a wickedly hard shift at wot, scared the crap out of him!! he never did that again.

Interesting things is that parameters that you would'nt normally think of have a large effect on the allsions shifting, such as timing,boost,torque tables.

Experiment safely!!!
The reason for the hard shifts were you already had high pulswiths and timing added then the edge added more and even with the shift defuel on the ecm you were asking for way more than it could defuel to safe limits. i do not recomend using efi and the edge. there is just no way to know what the edge is doing to a already hot tune. un less u build a tune for the purpose of stacking the edge on!

JMO
Caleb

·
Registered
17 Posts
The reason for the hard shifts were you already had high pulswiths and timing added then the edge added more and even with the shift defuel on the ecm you were asking for way more than it could defuel to safe limits. i do not recomend using efi and the edge. there is just no way to know what the edge is doing to a already hot tune. un less u build a tune for the purpose of stacking the edge on!

Yeah I know, Most people don't generally care about the mechanics of it they just want to know yes or no. But you are absolutely right.

Personally will the dsp2 program and the new TNT from EFIlive, I see no reason to stack ever!!!!:rockin

But thats me

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
stacking chips

I have an 05' duramax with the LLY and 5-speed allison. I have heard alot of talk about stacking the chips and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or know from experience. I currently have the Edge attitude with juice and curious what chips would work well with it if any?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
stacking is hard on things so i would highly recommend not doing it but i know of quite few guys runnin the PPE/Edge combo with the PPE on the 90HP and the Edge on the middle level and so far so good but a stack that i ran was the PPE HOT ET+2 and the Van Aaken Hot Box but you'll want a built tranny for that stack,i would highly recommend selling the edge and buying the PPE or EFILive along with a set of gauges and have all the power you want or you'll stock tranny allows you..
stacking chips and programmers has been known to blow heads and throw engines out of timing and other costly dammage and none of it is good..

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
I'd stack that edge right into the trash. Not a big fan. I love my ppe. Dad has had 3 edge's in his 05 and this one is acting up. I'm tryin to talk him into ditchin the edge and getting a ppe economy. JMO. With a ppe hot+2et I wouldn't think you'd need to stack.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i second that one aggar..

with the PPE or EFILive you won't need to stack anything and still have just as much if not more power then before..

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
What transmission upgrades would you suggest if i did stack the edge with something else? I live in a small town and bragging rights are pretty high and there is alot of talk about the duramax vs. cummins and i want to show them what a real truck is. So is there any other performance upgrades you would suggest? Also what are the advantages of the EFI live?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Sun Coast builds some of the best Tranny upgrades avalible http://www.suncoastconverters.com/gmc/gm_products.html so if you want a reall @$$ kicking power and the tranny to hold it do the stage 5 but other then that i would go with the stage 4 w/t 1056 or 1057 TC...the advantage with EFILive is you build your own tunes,for instance you want a mileage tune so you build a tune that gets you good fuel economy and then if you want a smoke tune you can use the same idea only you make it a smoker so your options are endless with EFILive verse a canned off the shelf tuners like Edge and all the other tuners avalible but if you'd rather not spend the time learning how to build your own tunes the PPE HOT ET+2 will give you roughly 500hp/1000tqr and it is the best off the shelf tuner avalible..hope this makes sense
the man that beat the Diesel Power challange(Micheal Tomac drives a 02 Chevy 2500HD CC SB red Duramax)runs EFILive and lays down over 700rwhp and still got 20mpg on a road test.. DuramaxRacing.com trully an awesome pullin machine and it is still driven on the street..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts