Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, starting the search for exhaust and tuner mods for my 06 LBZ

in general terms not focusing on any one particular manufacturer what do you think about the life span of the aluminized systems...

Heres the thing... I almost never drive my truck in the winter, although I do live in Maine and we use salt my truck pretty much never leaves the yard and I my put a total of 15k miles a year on that LBZ all in summer...

I could use some opinions from anyone thaty has had an alluminized exhaust

thanks

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
aluminized!

Stainless wont look all clean and shiny for long. Even with the salt in the air it will tarnish and pit and look shitty.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am a stainless guy, but aluminized tubing will still be on that truck when your grandkids retire.

·
Registered
220 Posts
stainless is not worth the cost,save the bucks for something else on your truck

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
One winter with my stainless exhaust and it looks like crap.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Although I'm a new member to the site, I've had trucks and modded cars for a while now. The grade of stainless makes a very big difference in not only what it will look like, but how long it will last. A 409 stainless is a show-quality, but I personally wouldn't mount it on any daily driver as it is a weaker tight-grain alloy. A 304 stainless will bronze after a few heat cycles and last longer, however, depending on the quality of the QA system at the manufacturer, you could still end up with oxidation, pitting and possibly even rust. If you plan to run higher than "safe" EGT's in your truck, like when towing in warmer temps, I have heard of aluminized failing before stainless. I think it comes down to what your bank will support and what exactly you want out of that truck...My .02...

·
Registered
524 Posts
wow you guys really just threw me. i always thought that stainless was always better and alumium was a matter of affording one or the other. So now im about a week away from ordering my exhaust i am little confused. i live in high altitude with lots of snow i thought the alunium would oxidize and look crummy and the stainless coulod clean up nice, now i understand im not in a moist area like being on the coast so i think i could get away with both exhaust but which is best!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm sitting at work right now in a factory with 400+ people making exhaust systems for all the auto makers and most of the heavy equipment industry. FYI, most of the OEM exhaust systems now are aluminized 409 or 439 stainless. This gives the long-lasting quality of stainless with the added corrosion resistance of the aluminized coating.

304 is the best and will last the longest, but its $$$$. The only manufacturer that made a full 304 system that I was aware of is Corsa, and I believe it is no longer offered, probably because of its $1200+ price tag (IIRC).

I have MBRP 409 system with a 304 Corsa muffler. The muffler still looks new. The rest is covered in rust.

I would be willing to bet that even though the 409 is rusty on the outside, it will still last longer than aluminized mild steel. That's what the parts stores sell that only lasts a year or two.

·
Registered
492 Posts
400 series stainless will rust just like mild steel
So if u want stainless for longevity u want 300 series which I don't know if u can get
Mines aluminized and still looks good

·
Registered
4 Posts
Knaffie is correct. I do not work in a plant that manufactures exuast pipes. I work in a plant that has miles of 304 ss piping that carries food products and 600 plus ss storage tanks and SS production equipment. Any SS will rust if it is exposed to the right envirments. if anything ferrus comes in contact with it. All of the dirt and road crime has ferrous materials in it and when you add heat, water your Expensive SS exhaust will start to rust. It will take longer to degrade than Mild but once it starts it will not stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok great input like SnoPro said I'm surprised...

I figured the response would be "spend the extra 200 and get the dam s/s you cheap bastard!"

I would like to save where I can, but not waste money in crap either...

I appreciate the input...

Now how about another 10 post sayin your all full of [email protected]#$ just to confuse me:D

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I also went with aluminized because i wanted a all black exhaust so i just scuffed it up to clean it nice they hit it with some black header paint! 2 winters now and it looks wicked still!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts