Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got tired of lookin at the thing in my driveway so im doin em myself. I hope I didn't get myself into something I dont wanna...

Sent from Mesmerize using AutoGuide

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Couple tips-

When you remove a component-- screw the bolts back into the part, where you can -- and just insert the bolts in others, to keep them together. When you remove the exhaust manifolds, slip the bolts in the manifold holes. When you get ready to install-- you pick up the part, and the bolts are there.

Bag the other bolts and write what they are for.

Use masking tape and write on where the connector goes.

You have to replace the head bolts-- or install studs.

Good Luck

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Couple tips-

When you remove a component-- screw the bolts back into the part, where you can -- and just insert the bolts in others, to keep them together. When you remove the exhaust manifolds, slip the bolts in the manifold holes. When you get ready to install-- you pick up the part, and the bolts are there.

Bag the other bolts and write what they are for.

Use masking tape and write on where the connector goes.

You have to replace the head bolts-- or install studs.

Good Luck
all good advise....only things to add

Make sure you use right tq numbers when retightening stuff and take pictures along the way.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, got off the easy stuff. Alternator, air box, ac pump, and some other little chit.... man I got a ways to go. Lol

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
If you are a big boy and are decently strong, just leave the clamshells and exhaust maniolds attached when you lift it out.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea, I wasn't looking forward to pissin with manifold bolts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only thing im worried about is wiring and all the harnesses n shit. Everything else I can do.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Where you located? On the inner uppipe to manifold bolt on the passenger side put a stubby 12mm wrench on it, and put a prybar in the open end and hammer on it from the bottom to break it loose. Works sweet. You have to pull the passenger manifold unless you pull the dipstick, leave the drivers side on.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Only thing im worried about is wiring and all the harnesses n shit. Everything else I can do.

Thats really no big deal, once you start laying it down....everything basically falls into place.

I always start with the drivers side connections first.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
You should tape the AC lines-- helps keep the dirt and moisture out!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think i got myself in deep.. i jus wanna take it to somebody to have them finish it but i deff dont have the cash 4 that.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Anyone close to Waterloo, Iowa and could help.

If you take it to someone, they will not be happy that it is apart, and may charge more.

Go to the local dealer, and talk to the mechanics there-- someone may be able to help you as a side job. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can check at my work, I work at a chevy dealership. I just need someone helping me but im doing this in my driveway and iys starting to bet cold out. Might be able to put in parents garage

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well got a buddy of mine to help me we busted ass for about 5 hours. The downpipe was a pain.. but its down to the turbo, fuel rails and lines and they should be comin out. FINALLY

·
Registered
891 Posts
Wtf are you pulling the turbo for? you don't have to remove the downpipe either. Take pics of the fuel line routing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
No, leave them on and and pull the heads out the front instead of straight off. Sucks you pulled the downpipe cause that's a pita!

·
Registered
891 Posts
The intake is slotted on the bottom 4 holes btw, you don't have to take the studs out, they had me worried!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts