Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know starting fluid is not good to use. And I know if u have to use, you only use just abit. What I am wondering is what fluid is "better" then the rest, one that lubricates more etc.....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't think it has a whole lot to do with lubrication I think it's more of a problem that ignites in the cylinder long before diesel does.

·
Premium Member
11,316 Posts
Several problems using it on the Duramaxs' one being that the heater in the intake will ignite it!

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
If the truck doesn't start you may as well walk, if you use starting fluid your gonna be walking for a long time when it f$cks up your engine anyway.

Now what's going on that you want to use starting fluid?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It gets fairly cold where I am and sometimes I forget to plug in my block heater. I'm pretty sure most of my glow plugs are finished

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,912 Posts
I'd replace all the glowplugs then, their reasonably priced and easy to change out. A duramax in good health will start in the cold without problems. I know people start them in extreme cold, I've started mine at -24°f without any problems...I was very surprised with how well it did. I usually plug it in below zero but I was curious one cold morning and decided to see how well it would start in the cold. Honestly I think it handles cold weather better then my lesabre and tahoe, when I'm not having gelling issues anyway😃

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Uh.... change the glow plugs. No brainer.

Don't use any type of starting fluid. Ever.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Being cheap will cost your ass in the long run!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.