Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, every so often I have to turn my key 9-10 times before the truck will actually turn over. Maybe once or twice a month it happens, I never know when and it doesn't matter if its cold or hot or been sitting or just finished being driven.

The batteries are good and I tried replacing the coil on the starter but it still does it. I can see the battery status on me CTS 2 and it's normally 11.2 ish but still does it.

What should I be looking to do to try to remedy it, were heading on a trip to South Dakota for the holidays and its a three day drive one way. I'll have my wife and 6 yr old and 1 yr old sons, don't want to be stranded in freezing temps.

Any recommendations I could try to help trouble shoot?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Your batteries are at 11.2V?? Really?

12V batteries should be 12.6V or greater. Remove batteries and charge separately outside of truck and reinstall. See if problem still exists.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your batteries are at 11.2V?? Really?

12V batteries should be 12.6V or greater. Remove batteries and charge separately outside of truck and reinstall. See if problem still exists.
I'll give it a try, I plan to check my positive and negative wires for corrosion anyways so I'll charge them up over night.

I figured 11.2 should be good enough to start a truck after sitting for a few days?

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
As soon as you turn the key on the volts will drop to around 10.5-11.0 (glow plug circuit pulling power) but if your battery terminals need cleaning or one/two of the batteries are weak you'll have starting issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts