Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m having a weird issue that just started today. I have a 2011 LML, stock except for a banks cold air intake, FASS lift pump, and Sinister CAT fuel filter setup. I started the truck up this morning with no problems. Drove around for about 20 minutes then went into the hardware store. I came out, tried to start it up and it cranked for approximately a half second then stopped. Dash/stereo went blank until I released the key. Tried to start it again and fired up without hesitation. The exact same thing has happened to me three additional times today. My first thought is it’s a battery issues but with the symptoms and the strong second start each time I am kind of doubtful that it’s a battery issue.

Starting battery is at 12.8 volts when off and aux battery is 12.9 with the engine off. Injector balance rates are all with -1.0 - 1.0. Fuel rail pressure is showing good on my edge reader and there are no CEL’s. I looked for fuel leaks, didn’t see any. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Hey all, I’m having a weird issue that just started today. I have a 2011 LML, stock except for a banks cold air intake, FASS lift pump, and Sinister CAT fuel filter setup. I started the truck up this morning with no problems. Drove around for about 20 minutes then went into the hardware store. I came out, tried to start it up and it cranked for approximately a half second then stopped. Dash/stereo went blank until I released the key. Tried to start it again and fired up without hesitation. The exact same thing has happened to me three additional times today. My first thought is it’s a battery issues but with the symptoms and the strong second start each time I am kind of doubtful that it’s a battery issue.

Starting battery is at 12.8 volts when off and aux battery is 12.9 with the engine off. Injector balance rates are all with -1.0 - 1.0. Fuel rail pressure is showing good on my edge reader and there are no CEL’s. I looked for fuel leaks, didn’t see any. Any suggestions?
do you have any aftermarket electronics wired into the trucks ignition switch? the way the new trucks ignition switches work makes for some strange electrical issues if you tap into the accessory or ignitions wires there.

Also, to clarify, the first time you started the truck it cranked for half a second then stopped cranking all together with the key still in the crank position? that kind of sounds like a faulty ignition switch, or a issue with either the keys chip or the PK3 module if i had to guess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s correct, I had the key in the start position when it stopped cranking over. I appreciate your suggestions. I will look into the anti theft nonsense to see if that is the issue, would seem to make sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, after my post the truck has not done this again and I can’t get it to repeat the problem. It was very warm the day it happened, about 100 degrees out, but I don’t know for sure if that may be related.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'll be watching this one. I've had the exact same thing happen a few times at random lately. I hit the key and the starter engaged and started to crank the engine then just quit about the time the engine rolled over. I got a message about the security system. I opened the door and closed it and cycled the locks then it cranked normally. It hasn't done it for probably a couple months but I'm not pretending that it fixed itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, same problem came back. I tried to do a remote start and it would crank for about a half second, stop, crank for about a half second, stop, and kept doing that. I tried to manually start it and it does the half second crank then stops. Any ideas? Definitely not a high temperature problem this go around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long story short, one of my batteries was bad when put on a load tester. It was the front driver’s side battery. Two brand new batteries fixed the starting issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts