Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2001 duramax diesel and sometimes when i start it up the starter motor cluth slips and does not turn over the engine then i turn the key again and it starts right up. i replaced the starter motor and did not cure it is very fustrating because it only does it maybe a couple of times a month then does not do it for ages it seems very random i was thinking it may be a damaged ring gear has anyone had this similar problem ? thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it was a damaged ring gear it would not start by simply turning the key off and back on again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was a damaged ring gear it would not start by simply turning the key off and back on again.
when i say turn i turn the key off i mean i stop turning it over then turn back and turn it over a second time and the starter motor does not slip the second time it cranks right up.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Right, but if you have a teeth missing off the ring gear, the only way you will ever get it to turn over with the starter would be if you manually rotated the crank to get some teeth that the starter drive can mesh with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 2006 with 9500 miles has done the same thing 3 times, chevrolet service says they cannot change the starter until it fails !!!! by then it will take out the ring gear, i was thinking of removing the starter and checking the pinion travel: for the correct setting. :rof

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 Duramax starting problem

I have a 2005 Duramax in a 3/4 Ton Chevy, 17k miles. Love the truck. Since last summer,6 or 8 times now I have had just a grind when I tried to start, as if the pinion is not being driven into engagement with the ring gear. I get off the start switch, wait a few seconds and then engage again and it starts without a hitch. Last Monday it happened again and this time repeatedly. I had a tow truck driver on the phone and tried it one more time, of course it started without a hitch. Going into the shop Monday 1/22/07. I will report the findings.

Any ideas or similar problems, I see three similar on this forum?

Tom Horne:help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took truck to the Shop. They could not duplicate the problem. Told me the same stuff about not being able to investigate further under Warrenty. After a discussion, we all arrived at the same unspoken conclusion: I would have to grind the starter till failure next time this happened in order to get this problem addressed. This kind of mechanical abuse put us all off and they agreed to pull the starter and investigate further. They could see a chewed up starter pinion and two or three teeth on the ring gear ground to 50%. Replaced starter and ring gear. Recommend a discussion with the service guys regarding this problem and they may do the same for you. They could not duplicate the problem since it is kind of like Russian Roulette. The engine stops in 4 small regions of the ring gear due to compression, so you have a 1 in 4 chance of being in the right region, and probably another 1 in 3 or 4 chance of being on the right tooth. Even then, the pinion will sometimes engage and give you a good start. But sometimes it will not, for several tries. I am now a happy camper. Give me a call if you are in eastern Washington and have a Duramax problem 509-448-8108

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2002 duramax and sometimes the engine will not start. I turn the key and the engine turns over normally but it will not start, I have to let it sit for about ten to fifteen mins and whola it starts up like normal, this happens every couple of weeks but when i get it started to get it to the dealer it works all the time.
CAn some any one tell me if they have exprianced this and or what it might be.
Like tom I love this truck but this is really wearing me low.
Tahnks..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar problem with inconsistant start up on my 03 Duramax (85K Miles). The dealer has changed the batteries and glow plug driver ($700 bill - ouch) with no resolution. I change the fuel filter every other oil chage. The last filter change seemed to cure the problem for about six weeks, then the reluctant beast returned to its old habits. I try priming the filter, cycling the glow plugs each attempt, and ambient weather conditions don't seem to a part of the problem, except when it is above 100 degrees F. and I have been towing. I am afraid that the starter motor will wear out before this can be fixed. Any suggestions on where to look for air leaks, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 05 duramax and yesterday i tried to crank it and all i got was a click.. its not the battery.. never had a problem cranking till now.. what do you think it is????

·
Registered
1 Posts
My truck will crank and slowly fade off and just die then the horn goes off 3 or 4 times with all the lights flashing. We have been working on it for 2 days with no luck we have charged the batteries, replaced both of them, changed some fuses, but nothing is working, we are trying to sell it soon we have an offer but hes getting mad that he has to come back every day with it not working. please any advice even the most abstract please

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
you sure it isn't the batteries? Check your cable connections. GM batteries are known for going bad with no other symptoms. Can you jump it? If you can and then when you shut it off does it do the same thing? I have seen batteries go bad instantly....start and drive to a store...come out and nothing.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
My truck will crank and slowly fade off and just die then the horn goes off 3 or 4 times with all the lights flashing. We have been working on it for 2 days with no luck we have charged the batteries, replaced both of them, changed some fuses, but nothing is working, we are trying to sell it soon we have an offer but hes getting mad that he has to come back every day with it not working. please any advice even the most abstract please
Do you have a security light come on when it dies and the horn sounds? Try your other key for the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally fixed the starting problem where the starter would slip, it turned out to be a bad ring gear. When inspected it had little burs on the teeth of the ring gear on two of the places the engines stops at this explains it only slipping sometimes cause if its lucky it will not stop at these points for a long time. Anyways just thought i'd let you guys know cause the guy that fitted it said hes fitted quit a few of these hope this helps with other peoples problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1996 GMC diesel. It won't start. When I turn the key on the glow plug light does not come on. Just hapened. Before the truck would start right up. Need answers. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same exact problem

I have a 2002 duramax and sometimes the engine will not start. I turn the key and the engine turns over normally but it will not start, I have to let it sit for about ten to fifteen mins and whola it starts up like normal, this happens every couple of weeks but when i get it started to get it to the dealer it works all the time.
CAn some any one tell me if they have exprianced this and or what it might be.
Like tom I love this truck but this is really wearing me low.
Tahnks..
I could tell you a long story about my problem but your discription is exactly what happens to me. I love my truck too, and its paid for....I have threatend selling and buying a different truck, but I know it's probably a fairly simple fix. Please help!!! Was it the starter or do you know yet? I would love your input since this sounds exactly like what mine is doing.....It's so nice to know you are not the only one out there with this problem...PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Duramax starting problem

A couple years ago I had intermittent starting problems with my 2005 Duramax while under warranty. The starter would fail to engage the ring gear and spin without cranking the engine. Then I would try again and again and it would eventualy engage and crank the engine. Naturaly it could not be duplicated at the shop. Finaly I convinced them to pull the starter and take a look. When they pulled the starter the problem was obvious, both the starter pinion and the ring gear were badly chewed up. Just by chance the ring gear was lined up so that they could see the problem. Due to compression the engine stops in four? positions. So the chance of the bad portion of the ring gear lining up with the starter is like Russian roulette with a four? chambered pistol. They replaced the ring gear and starter and I have had no further problems for 2 or 3 years.

Tom

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
There are two different problems with the starter----

1-- The starter does not fully engage into the starter and makes a LOUD grinding sound. The engine does not turn over. Probably a damaged ring gear and/or a damaged pinion gear in the starter.

2--- The starter clutch drive is not holding. The starter makes a whirling sound as the starter spins, but the engine does not turn over. This is a drive clutch/pinion problem. You can replace the drive assembly, or starter and it will usually fix the problem. (common problem on starters)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
123 Posts
ive got the same grinding noise every now and then. whenever it makes this noise i stop and restart and it always works good. by the ring gear do you guys mean like the flexplate? if the flexplate had damaged teeth and was stuck at this position wouldnt it continue to grind away? im looking to fix this problem as i plan on getting a remote start and dont want the remote to continue to try to start the engine just grinding away. difficult to change the starter on a duramax?

·
Registered
1 Posts
re starting problem for 01 duramax

Hi, ive been having the same type of problem over the last few months. where the vehicle would start most of the time but makes a grinding noise the others. i took my starter off and saw that the end of the bendix was worn down as well as the inside lip of the ring gear. i called a starter guy here and he said that the starter was needed to be "timmed" to the ring gear. basically stating it needed to be shimmed. since there were no shims on the block, he said the shimming takes place on the solenoid itself. this never happend with the original starter, only when i replaced it back in september. so by shimming it, he said it will take longer for the motor to start turning giving the bendix time to properly engage the ring gear before turning over. hopefully this works for me. i will send an update tomorrow as to see if this cured the problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts